Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sparkplugs

Englishmaninwales

If Memory serves: with NGK a lower Number is a hotter plug.. it sounds like this is worth trying on your engine, as ngk's are v resistant to fouling.. assuming the appropriate heat range is installed.

Try a "6" plug .. in NGK of course ;-)

Keep talking. My 1999 1600 Vauxhall Classic runs fine until it gets hot (80 degrees C) say on a run down the A3. When I get back to traffic speeds (30 to 40 mph) it runs very badly with missed beats, flat spots etc. Makes you drive it with your foot down just to keep the power coming reasonably smoothly. Last tuned by James Whiting a couple of months ago so I am completely flummoxed. *confused*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

Had the same problem myself and worked my way down from "8"s to "5"s with no improvement . Eventually tracked it down to over rich idle mixture on the carbs.

Colortune sorted it and went back to "sevens" as it seemed appropriate. Check them regularly and stayed spot on for last 2k

David

Sooty sevener,

Hello. Sounds as though yo may have a solution but I am slightly confused. What is "7" ? Is it a main get size? Is Colortune something you get from Halfrauds or somebody you call in like Ghost Busters? *wink*

Going to have a twiddle with the idle jets first thing tomorrow *cool* I presume the plugs will tell me if I am doing any damage (such a very weak mixture) *confused*

Who's looking at the Ferrari? Nobody, that's who!

smegnog,

i presume from reading these posts that the '7' you enquire about is actually a component of the spark plug part number. as in "NGK BCP 7 ES" and has nothing to do with the jets or carbs.

a coloutune is a 'device' used to set the mixture on carbs.

speaking of colourtunes and carbs settings. i think i would like to have my carbs checked over, balanced and set up properly as i think they are running too rich and i have a big hesitation around 3000-3200rpm (overfuelling when going from idle jets to main jets 🤔)

Ive been quoted about £40 + vat to have them done at a garage - but thats the same price as a syncrometer from tweeks....

should i get the syncro and learn to do it myself, or have it done in the garage 🤔 how easy is it to get right 🤔

A synchronometer just balances the airflow between throats i.e. balance between the carbs which is adjusted by balance screw on the throttle linkage. This is set before twiddling with the jetting etc.

A syncho won't help you with jetting.

A colortune is a device (from mem) like a sparkplug with a window which allows you to see the colour of the burn in the cylinder. Nice blue colour required ?

Tuners use an exhaust gas analyser such as CO2 ppm to judge how the mixture is burning as it goes through the rev range on the rollers. There are doubtless other ways too...

Colortune may get you close but a rolling road session will get it a lot closer, as the motor will be running against a load, rather than just pumping gases, plus agood RR session should check a lot more than just the fuelling, ie plug voltage, cranking voltage, ignition timing / dwell, fuel pressure, etc, and be sure to get a before and after read out, although you will be able to feel the difference in the seat of your pants, worth every penny, Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.