Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing Glue...

Lee

Sikaflex worked well on mine. Get the surfaces really clean and also rough up the stay with a coarse file to remove powder coat and provide more grip.

It sticks to everything and tends to get everywhere too, but wipes off the paintwork with a bit of white spirit if you get finger marks as I did. The bond looks very solid-I also used it to fix a short mudflap extension to the front and this also holds very well despite being subject to quite a bit of movement.

Bruce

I bonded mine on using bighead fastners that I fibreglassed on to the inside of the wings. These then allow you to attach the wings to the stays using cable ties.

Took a while to do, but gives I think the best solution, no drilling of stays is reqd, & taks 30 seconds to remove & replace the wings if needed.

Can mail you some pictures later if you like.

Andy

Andy - that sounds like a great solution to the bolt / glue dilemma! Please email me some pictures later. Am a bit worried about sticking the wings on, as I've always had them bolted, and have seen plenty leave the nest unexpectedly, but can't be bothered with all the hassle of drilling the new wings (and thought I'd try the boltless look first)!

Thanks

All

I was going the Sikaflex route, but have now seen a car (Bob Corb's) with the Bigheads solution and it seems a better route.

The part name he ordered is "Cable Tyrap B32-15 Stainless Steel" - available direct from their sales dept.

01202 574601. He used 'XL45' panel bonding adhesive (not sure of manufacturer.

If anyone calls, could you post/e-mail the price. Might be worth doing a bulk buy??

Cheers

Guy

I used some stuff called 'Tiger seal' from a local car shop. It comes in a metal caulking canister. I drilled a few small holes in the stay so that the adhesive can squeeze through the holes to form resin rivets.

Even with some high speed off-roading the wings are still solid. Only down side is it takes -an agonisingly- long time to cure (good 24Hrs).

Paul

• Leadership Team

I went the Big Head route also - when I rang the sales department the girl said the item I was after is sold in packs of 100, at £100++. She then very helpfully arranged to send me a samples pack and catalogues, including the 8 fasteners I needed totally free of charge. What a company 😬

I fastened them to the wings with HV350 adhesive - a flexible glue available from Demon Tweeks for less than a fiver *thumbup*, and reasonably easy to use.

Two track sessions later and everythings still intact *cool*

BTW, use 2 cable ties per fastener just to be safe.

Stu.