Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RE: Hot Cross Flows! Hot Cross Flows!

hallibut

Hi

I have a question about my new pride and joy (a 1985 1700 super sprint) *biggrin*.

I have been a passenger in many a k series seven and have noticed the radiant warmth from the transmission tunnel. In comparison, driving around in my car seems like working in the boiler room of the QE2! I get great draughts of hot air blowing through the foot well. If I switch the heater on, I am worried that my shoes might spontaneously ignite.

Whilst this is ideal for those midnight naked blats through deserted country lanes with the good lady wife *smile*, its no joke in the unseasonably good weather that we seem to be suffering at the moment.

Is this normal, Doctor? *confused*

Martin

The Layham Seven Project

They all do that Sir! The older cars don't have fresh air heaters and recirculate the air in the footwells. There are a number of ways of improving the situation if you a prepared to put in some effort.

Crash team to the Upgradeitis ward, the withdrawal symptons are getting worse

The Crossflow engine does tend to radiate quite a bit of heat.

When I first got mine I did a longish trip on the hottest day of the year and needed water to get out of the car at the other end!

It will seem worse at the moment due to the ambient temperature.

In the winter however its great, I have binned the heater as I never ever used it!

My recommendation is to wrap the exhaust manifold.

This reduces the under bonnet temp - and makes for a cooler LOTS cockpit.

(also ditching the doors and getting an aeroscreen helps 😬)

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

I am familiar with the problem!

Last year knackered a pair of boots,

This year converted 2 core rad. to 3 core and hey presto

even on these hot days virtually no heat blowing through.

No longer worried about over heating in jams either.

Best £115 spent on my 1982 Crossflow.

i tend to wrap up a couple of pasties in tin foil and balance them on the ends of my ballet shoes and when you arrive at your destination they are usually done. *biggrin*

bibba.

sorry about that my car is the same and i am worrying that if my legs loose to much weight my body will look all out of proportion.

*cool*

Depending on what type of cover you have around the gearstick and transmission cover, you may find a lot of heat creeping between the cover and the tunnel. I used a rubber seal between the two and screwed them together which reduced the heat significantly. Beware of screwing through the fuel pipe *eek*

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

Ah, it's good to know that this is 'normal'. I drove the car in to work today through some light rain; hey presto, mobile sauna 😬.

The rad change is interesting. My coolant runs at a pretty rock solid 70C (which creeps up to 90 in traffic jams). Chris, What sort of temps do you see with the 3 core unit?

Cheers

Martin

The Layham Seven Project

Thanks for telling me the difference is an inch but an inch of what original measurement? Re wrap It actually improves performance I am told with no downside. My temperature here in France is usually mid 70's but I have put in a manual overide onto the electric fan so if I get stuck in traffic or have to go at less than 30mph i can yurn the fan on, works a treat.

French Flame Thrower

Very often, heat into the footwells is partly due to the valve controlling water flow into the heater not being fully off, you may need to slacken the cable that adjusts it and move the cable through the clamp to ensure that you can turn this fully off. You can silver line the transmission tunnel with silver backed polystyrene (the same stuff that you put behind radiators, from B&Q) which helps.

I used to have the recirculating type heater with a simple, Caterham supplied, plastic shut-off valve and it was worse than useless. Even fully shut it allows enough water past to still roast your feet.

My solution then was to fit a small 15mm ball valve in the flow pipe to the heater which shut it off completely in the Summer.

I now have a fresh air type heater with a decent by-pass valve which although it works still allows too much heat in the footwells in the Summer *confused* Don't ask me how but it does.

BTW I know it has been mentioned on other threads (one running at the moment) but Water Wetter actually does work in reducing the engine temperatures. Sounds unlikely but it is effective.

Hugh. Would you like me to bring a bottle of 'Water Wetter' down with me next month 🤔

I had my exhaust primaries Cam-coated recently but disappointingly it hasn't made any discernible difference to the under bonnet temperatures and still seems to radiate enough heat to provide central heating for the whole of London!

I think proper exhaust lagging is the way to go, which I had initially wanted to avoid, as I didn't want it to end up looking like a mummys tomb.

Brent

My 88 car has an old style flat recirculating heater which does not have a shut off valve.

The only heater control method I have is to turn off the fan.

On a Xflow (and probably on other cars also) when the heater is removed the pipes can just be plugged ie you dont need to divert the flow past the heater, you can just block it off, this makes the pipework for fitting a control valve a lot simpler.

I will be having a look at B&Q for an isolation valve similar to what Brent mentioned.

If I am feeling really adventurous I may try to mount the valve on the bulkhead and try to get a control back into the cockpit.

Nick

My convertion from 2 core to 3 core was pretty straight forward.

Took the car down to Reliable Rads of Kemsing in Kent, they "measured up" and i went back 2 weeks later with rad under arm and he took the top header and bottom off, slotted in the new 3 core, pressure checked and sprayed a sexy mat black. Off i went with a years guarantee.

Moreover he braised on the bracked i required for my new electric fan and put in the screw fittings that came with the fan for the thermostat.

I too have a manual over ride on the fan so the moment I see a traffic jam i can turn on and hold the heat down.

i now have a cool car, silent behind the rad fan and cool feet!