Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tools 'n' spares for touring

SvenDriver

Anyone have any thoughts on what would make a sensible spares/toolkit for a long tour.

I'm thinking:

Accelerator & Clutch cables

Bulbs

Fuses

Tyre repair fluid

Tyre pressure guage

Molegrips and wrench (emergencies only)

Fluids - Oil, Brake, Coolant

Roof

Optimax 😬 😬 😬

In mine I have nothing except fuses and spray because I have no spare wheel

Of course I have a mobile, some money and a visa card

I have a friend with a boot full of tools :

he is always in trouble with his 7

eric

a few more for the list...

alternator belt + suitable ratchet spanner for tensioner, and locking nuts

radiator thermo switch - small, cheap, easy to swap and pita if it goes wrong

oil pressure sender - these always seem to fail on longer trips

A small selection of ratchet spanners with adaptors for hex keys and common sockets will allow most problems to be sorted without needing to invoke the recovery services.

Small length of rubber hose for bleeding brakes

Duct tape 😬

Cable ties, 5l fuel jerry can, I would take a spare tyre rather than tyre foam if it was a long trip to

somewhere remote, like Scottish highlands, as it may be difficult to get a new tyre to replace one filled with tyre foam.

• 13 years later...

Just back from Pau and took the following.

Clutch cable, Throttle cable (not the real one as they are expensive but a bowden cable with end nipples), fuses, spare wire, tie wraps, tape, tools, fuel pump (2nd hand spare), plugs, ignition leads, Idle control valve, Throttle position sensor, Alternator (heavy spare but essential if one fails) (No starter as you can always push start), bulbs,  tyre repair foam and spare tyre.  Various nuts and bolts, gasket sealant etc.

The only thing that failed in a 1600 mile trip was the indicator flasher unit, and I did not have one of those!    

Perhaps it's just me, but filling, what is laughingly described as a boot in our little cars, with everything but the kitchen sink is ridiculous. In addition to the obligatory items, bulbs and warning triangle, a small bag of tools, cable ties, throttle and clutch cables and exhaust bobbin is about the limit in my view.

I usually have my car serviced and Mot a couple of months before we usually go abroad in August and in six years of touring in Europe including half way down in Italy have only had to replace the bobbin and that was back at the place we were staying, using the cable ties as a 'get you home' in the first instance. 

Anything major, RAC or equivalent.  

Ps. I will accept tyre gloop if you haven't got a spare.

Brian

All down to luck rather than servicing. In the last few years I have changed various items on either my cars ( MGB, Cat 7 and MR2) or cars traveling in company in Europe.  Have changed fuel pump, Dynomo /alternator,   tightened various things and even stripped a brake master cylinder to fit a new seals kit.  

Have also been told stories of people having their trip canceled with very simply faults , i.e. alternator, water pump and fuel pump (Su type on an MG which probably just needed a clout to persuade it back into life for a while). 

Surprising what you can get into a 7 "boot" and footwell.   

I'm with the other Brian.

Done quite a few long distance trips, and use the car a lot otherwise, and other than the AA/RAC card, spare bulbs, just jammed some tools in the jack bag (adjustable, allen keys, screwdrivers, 10mm,13mm ring spanner, some cable ties, a length of wire), shoved a spare clutch and accelerator cable behind the heater lip under the bonnet and stuffed a spare fan belt around the heater inlet, that's it.  Working on the theory if I need to, or even if I need someone else to work on it, I've got the sensible bits, anything else I can be recovered somewhere and it fixed.

In 15 yrs of abuse, I've changed one headlight bulb (under a garage canopy, in a rain storm, somewhere by a glacier in Austria), adjusted one front wheel bearing (in a warm car park somewhere in southern France), ty-wrapped the speedo sensor in place in Germany (still there 12 yrs later - the sensor on the car that is!) and that's it.

Gave a spare exhaust bobbin to someone else once.

A good going over before a trip and replacing the worn, about to break, looks dodgy bits seems to have worked, and generally keeping it in good nick anyway.

Would you take all that exra crap in the tin-top?  I never used to on regular working commutes from Yorkshire to Aachen in a Lancia integrale, and still wouldn't.

Bri

All that 'gazon' crap is priceless.

Remember; the French adore a bit of direct action; mow your lawn at the wrong time for the commune and suddenly the autoroutes of La Belle France are blocked by tonnes ( metric) of dumped farmers manure (interestingly 'fumier' in French) 

No amount of 7 spares can prepare you for that.

Toolbox.JPG.5a052832a93f0672580048195a63636c.JPG

In the above tool box I'm able to fit the following:

Throttle cable inner

Alternator belt, fan & strap

Spark plugs

Oil/water sender

Fuses & relays

Bulbs

Thermostat

Fan switch

Exhaust & radiator bobbins

Sump plug

Wheel nuts

Battery master switch & key

Cable ties (all sizes)

Jubilee clips

Duct tape

Miscellaneous fixings, wire & connectors

Insulating tape

Velcro pads & roll

Quicksteel

Aluminium tape

Solderless nipples

WD40 (small can)

Spanner roll (metric)

Mini spanners

Halfords Pro toolkits x 2

Allen keys (metric)

Tool roll (see below for contents)

Small multimeter

Towing strap

Torch

Leatherman/Gerber tool

Under the front of the passenger seat a tool roll is strapped containing:

Stub-nosed, long-nosed & water pump pliers

Mole grips

Adjustable spanners (standard & extra wide)

Ratchet handle & extensions

18mm, 19mm, ¾” & spark plug sockets

Side cutters

Stubby screwdrivers (flat & cross head)

and finally a spare clutch cable lies in the boot, so I'm hardly wasting valuable storage space...

In 17 years or touring I must confess to not having to use much of the above myself but I would say that approx. 50% of the above spares have been used to helps others out....... 

I'm definitely in the 'if you've got it you won't need it' camp

One thing people always seem to forget is a spare pair of wiper blades (if your car has a windscreen of course).

A few years ago, we drove up the M40 at night in a horrendous rainstorm. One of the wipers sheared in half where the rivet is attached and the arm carved an arc in the glass.

Unbelievably, we were unable to buy a replacement at Stoneleigh......a kitcar show!

Thankfully, a club member had a spare which got us home. The moral of the story is to carry a spare wiper blade!!

One thing people always seem to forget is a spare pair of wiper blades (if your car has a windscreen of course).

A few years ago, we drove up the M40 at night in a horrendous rainstorm. One of the wipers sheared in half where the rivet is attached and the arm carved an arc in the glass.

Unbelievably, we were unable to buy a replacement at Stoneleigh......a kitcar show!

Thankfully, a club member had a spare which got us home. The moral of the story is to carry a spare wiper blade!!