Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avons -v- Yoko's

Captainbilos

Nearly twice the price (as the A021Rs. At least 50% dearer than the 32Rs).

Never tried them but doubt I will.

Feedback I've heard from others is that they are tremendous in the wet, but not as good (certainly as ACB10s) in the dry...

I've got A021Rs and these are pretty good. And I'm hearing more and more that 32Rs aren't as bad in the wet as you hear. I'll be trying these next time.

Have search for 'cr500' and you'll get much more feedback...

C7 AJM

Have been using 32R's since last Summer, previously had Michelin Pilots.

Can't speak for the 021's

The 32R's are absolutely superb in the dry, in the wet provided you dont go mad they are fine.(My old BMW 3 series (1995) on standard road tyres was worse in the wet than the 7 on 032R's)

I found 021Rs a massive improvement in every respect to the Pilots I was running. Part of this may have been changing the size (185/60/14 all round to 185/60/13 fr and 205/60/13 rr) but most was the rubber I believe.

The only area I'm expecting them to be worse is tyre wear, but I haven't been on them long enough to comment properly yet.

I'm going to try 032Rs when the 021Rs run out now I'm hearing better reports of wet weather ability, but have also heard these run out quicker than 021Rs so may not be as practical for higher mileages.

021Rs are cheaper to buy so the cost equation is firmly in their favour over 032Rs...

As Pierre notes, they don't look as good as 032Rs though!

C7 AJM

I heard CR500's are superior to ACB10s wet or dry. They are on my shopping list instead of ACB10's next time I need tyres....

ACB10's (due to their crossply construction) are very directionally unstable.

Arnie

Yoko 21Rs Great in the wet,good in the dry. Wear good 6-7000 miles. Cost cheap

Yoko 32Rs Good in the wet, great in the dry. Wear OK 3-4000 miles. Cost OK

ACB10s Poor in the wet Phenominal in the dry but tramline like mad and feel quite unpleasant on rough roads. Wear poor 2-3000 miles. Cost OK to expensive.

CR500s Phenominal in the wet, good in dry but overheat under duress on track chewing up prematurally. Wear OK 3-4000 miles. Cost exessive.

Aideen,

this was the spec chosen for France in 1997. My car was built by caterham with the 40 th Anniversary spec., except for the "wheels": Mountney and minilite-style in 14 inches! I ditched the Mountney and replaced it by a Motolita, but kept the 14 inch wheels because they are OK for road use.

Cheers,

Pierre

Paul

I almost totally agree with Stuart G!

I would rate the 32R as good in damp but only OK in the wet.

In the 750MC where we have to use Yoko tyres we use the 21R for the wet. In the dry 32R. On a drying track 32R's will give a better time.

However for a dry track day I would use ACB10 and a damp track the CR500's. I believe a new compound is due out which should improve the dry performance of the CR500's this year.

Richard

Powder and Stuart

Have you tried the really soft ACB10's???

I have noticed (and others have also) that R500's have phenomenal grip off the line, especially when I was alongside Jason when we all went to the Pod. He (initially) just dissapeared into the distance.

My ACB10 expeience is with the A30 and A33 compound - do the A27's make a huge difference?

I suppose it could be the R500 gearing - Jason had much the same everything except diff. Would his 3.91 vs my 3.38 make such a huge difference when you consider I have about 50lb/ft more talk than a R500??

I am confused.........

Arnie Webb

Organiser- L7C Le Mans Trip

To book for this years Le Mans Trip see The Le Mans Trip Website

Its nearly full!!!

Yok now have an 032R super soft, (in addition to the original compound) which according to them (yok) will be better than the 021r in the wet. The size no doubt you require is probably not in the country yet but is due soon. Give these a try......somebody has to.

Apparently next year an 040r will be available this being comparable with the acb10,

Steward G has it right, I recently tested all 4 of these tyres with a rubber compound guage. Although not 100% reliable in terms of the indication of Grip levels, the 21r's were hardest, then 32r's, then CR500's and finally ACB's were the softest.

At the same time I tested a couple of new formula one Bridgestones and was surprised to find that they use a harder rubber than all of these.

I'm just about to buy a set of 032s 185/60 HR 14 from George Polley, 306.15 for FIVE inc VAT & fitting & balancing (if you go to heathfield) or delivered. CR500s are 113.98 each INC VAT, so 569.90 for FIVE. You can virtually get two sets of 032s for the price of one set of CR500s.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice, I know what I'm having.

Barry

I know sods law will be operating. I'm going for left side spare on the grounds that the left wheels are near the kerb where all the crud ends up like nails etc. Also most circuits are right handed which mean the left side will get moe of a hammering. I did think of only getting four, but as I managed to pop a tyre of the rim when I span in Sweden and kerbed the rear left I thought it better to have a spare to get me home, even if I have to drive it the wrong way for a bit. I asked the Yoko man at Autosport if they were ok for short periods going backwards and he said yes but the rain shifting ability would be reduced.

Edited by - WILL FLY on 16 Jan 2001 13:10:50

Edited by - WILL FLY on 16 Jan 2001 13:11:07