Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vx XE intake system

Beej

Can anyone tell me, is it possible to improve on the standard injection and intake system without cutting a hole in the bonnet?

I know from the books that junking the standard plenum etc and replacing it with a pair of 48s liberates an extra 25bhp but you have to cut a hole for the air cleaner. I would rather keep injection, so will throttle bodies fit within the bonnet line? I cannot really put a hole in the bonnet because it would spoil the car.

Cheers

In which case rather a lot of us have ruined ours *confused*

I have a VX with Jenvey Tapered 48 TB's which does require a hole in the bonnet but personally I think it enhances the look of the car. I don't know of any TB VX's without holes but someone might know different.

As for your existing system, it is the fuel injection plenum which restricts the intake here rather than the air filter system.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

Edited by - Harry Flatters on 7 May 2003 16:48:59

Sorry - didn't mean to imply that putting a hole in the bonnet ruins caterhams (my last one had a nice pair of K&N's sticking out of the side) - it would spoil this particular car because the appearance of the car is quite well documented and the factory have asked me to retain the appearance of the car for posterity.

Not being overly versed in how injection systems work I don't really understand why they have a plenum.. surely its just an empty box? Take it off and you get an even bigger empty box, don't you?

"and the factory have asked me to retain the appearance of the car for posterity"

Do you have the only VX Prisoner car they ever built?? Last time I saw that one it had been left outside with no weather gear and was full of water and leaves. It was also very rusted.

I cannot think of any other VX the factory might have interest in which would have been on OEM injection (Unless the the Nelson Cup car was)

Anyway, why do you not just buy a second bonnet?

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

carbs and air box look like the cosmetic solution here albeit that quiet a bit of fabrication may be required, but I am with Harry, need to replace induction system to liberate power. If you are looking for further enhancements in the future perhaps Arnie's suggestion has meruit

carbs would need new mapped ignition of course as would TB's. All of which is expensive and the extra over cost for DTHTB's and mapped ignition esp if you can find them second hand ( MEF had some for sale recently )

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels, gearbox, diff and now Nitrons...

Congrats for guessing right.. the Nelson Ledges car was/is basically a Vx racer but with the standard injection system retained. This means it has a bonnet without a hole in it but plenty of decals and stuff. I guess, at the end of the day, it isn't such a disaster to cut a hole - or get a second bonnet.

It sounds like TB's are the way to go so I will have to keep an eye out for a second hand set. Which is the best ECU/software to go with? I need to do this anyway because the standard Bosch/Motronic ECU has a 6500 rev limit (I understand even the standard engine is good for 7500) and it has no shift light that I am aware of. I also suspect that some horses could be liberated just with some remapping - but I don't know anything about engine management systems. SUs, Strombergs, Webers, Holleys, no worries but little black boxes of electronics scare the bejeebies out of me!

The usual bunch of arse from the VX heavyweights. I'd like to do a review of whose engine/car has needed the most effort in the last 12 months, mine, AVES or the Lardmonster himself - the K would win in terms of reliability for sure.

The only K series work done of late has been upgrades, not fix and repair.

Only yesterday, FA asked me to bring my engine crane over to his place on Sat AM as he needed a SECOND crane just to lift K2RUM up so we could have a look at another broken bit 😬

AVES is so stuck in the distant past he hasn't even worked out the car goes better without a bloody great windbreak stuck right in your line of vision.

shrewdcookie - my site

*mad* Actually, Count has got a point. The engine developed a misfire within 50 miles of leaving caterham 3 weeks ago.. they took it back, fixed it (after 3 weeks) and I collected it again on saturday. This time I managed about 30 miles before it stopped firing on 4. Oh and the speedo packed up, the temp guage tells big lies, the indicators flash the brake lights etc etc *mad* *mad* *mad*

I don't care how famous the car is/was. I have had it with the car - I want my money back (picture lots of toys being thrown out of pram).

And no I am not being unreasonably intolerant of minor niggles.. I drive a TVR everyday for goodness sake. A TVR being more reliable than a caterham.. thats a first!

Beej,

You could try keithjbarnett@aol.com, his car C7BAD (reg not included!) is still for sale, thats ex Graham Munroe VX race car, road legal, 240BHP on throttle bodies etc etc.

Regards

JonP

JonP

Eliseless and almost not Sevenless....!

Beej,

You could try keithjbarnett@aol.com, his car C7BAD (reg not included!) is still for sale, thats ex Graham Munroe VX race car, road legal, 240BHP on throttle bodies etc etc.

Regards

JonP

JonP

Eliseless and almost not Sevenless....!