Click here if you are having website access problems ×

can I adjust fans to cut in on M3DK?

timbo

I was balanicing the TBs last night. My coolant temp fan switch in 'events' page is set to come on @ 95, off @ 90 degrees.

On the live adjustments page the coolant temp read 102 degrees before the fans activated. Am I missing something here - do the fan coolant temp settings on the events page have nothing to do with fan activation @ a given coolant temperature?

Can I control the fans via the ECU?

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

I suspect your fan is being swithed by a fan switch in the radiator rather than to the MD3K, yo need to rewire the fan to pickup the control from the ECU if you want to adjust it from the screen, alternatively you could fit a switch with a lower 'on' rating in the rad, the R500 cuts in around 86 IIRC

MD3K pinouts

http://www.hoymotorsport.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pinout_for_m3dk.htm

Mark

Fit a small relay near the existing fan switch (on the header tank mounting bolt), take the two terminals off the thermostatic swithc and connect them to the high amp switched connectors of the relay, bridge the power side of the 'switched' circuit to the power side of the 'switch' circuit, then run a small wire from the earth side of the switch circuit to pin 6 of the ecu connector.

This will allow the relay to be switched by the ECU.

Oily

The Emerald comes with a suitable wire too... You could have Oily's suggestion working in about 3 mins.

The only thing I'd say is that I wanted my relay inside the fuseboard under the dash which is why my implementation is so much more difficult to achieve. You need to get the scuttle off to do it that way. Seems a bit drastic just to do this. I had the scuttle off to do a few jobs all at once.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

keep me right here guys - my wiring knowledge of relays is pretty poor.

I have a 4 pin relay.

running a wire from pin 6 ecu to relay pin (86) - signal feed

running a wire from relay pin (87) to fan switch - 12V power output to fan switch

running original green wire (was connected to fan switch) to pin (30) relay - 12V power input into relay.

taking the earth wire (black - originally on the fan switch) & connecting it to the earth pin (85) on the relay. I am then splicing in to this earth a new wire from the fan switch.

Is this right or am I talking out of my 🙆🏻

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

The bonus I found was that the temperature sensor in the radiator becomes redundant. This is a simple on off switch that on mine was set far higher than ideal. It now provides a simple trigger for a safety warning light in case the fan fails or the system looses water. I thought it would give me some peace of mind when I heard that one of the quickest ways to destroy a K engine is through the water overheating. *wink*

The bonus I found was that the temperature sensor in the radiator becomes redundant. This is a simple on off switch that on mine was set far higher than ideal. It now provides a simple trigger for a safety warning light in case the fan fails or the system looses water. I thought it would give me some peace of mind when I heard that one of the quickest ways to destroy a K engine is through the water overheating. *wink*

timbo,

For goodness sake, just read my earlier posting.. it's simple... :-)

Fit a small relay near the existing fan switch (on the header tank mounting bolt is ideal), take the two terminals off the thermostatic switch and connect them to the high amp switched connectors of the relay, bridge the power side of the 'switched' circuit to the power side of the 'switch' circuit, then run a small wire from the earth side of the switch circuit to pin 6 of the ecu connector, literally a five minute job

Oily

Sorry Dave, I'm a bit of an 🙆🏻 when it comes to the principals of wiring as relay :0)

It's working via ecu now - since I worked out what was switch & switched side of relay. Ta very much.

JLZ7447

1.6K this week

for those like me who know buuger all about relays wiring is as follows.

First - any 4 pin automotive relay will work. If you want to be realy fussy ask your Rover Dealer for Part No. YWB10012.

Wiring as follows:

Relay pin 85 - connect the wire (SLATE/BLUE)from pin 6 (M3DK ECU) to pin 85 on the relay.

Relay pin 87 - BLACK/GREEN - remove this wire from fan temp switch and attach to relay pin 87.

Relay pin 86 - remove the GREEN wire from fan temp switch and connect to relay pin 86.

Relay pin 30 - run a bridge wire from pin 86 (12V feed) to pin 30.

Hey presto - a controllable fan switch from the ecu

JLZ7447

1.6K this week