Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Redline MTL - how many US Quarts in a 6speed Box?

Super_Rich_Bernie

From reading posts on gear oil for 6 speed boxes the balance of hotly debated opinion seems to be towards Redline MTL.

I can't find a post which tells me how many US Quart tins of it I need to buy, and I don't have a Caterham handbook which will tell me. Given its extortionate price I'd rather not buy too much.

Anyone know?

Also interested to know if there is a cheaper than DT supplier who will also be able to supply Castrol Hypoy LS.

thnks

Jonathan

Jonathan, I,ve just ordered some for my 6 speed on Saturday with delivery tomorrow from DT!!. The Caterham manual states the capacity is 1.9 litres so I ordered 2 quarts which is 1.89 litres.

Phil

Once again: HONDA Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF) Synth gl4 75/80 w...

$3.75 per Quart!!!. from any Honda Dealer.

Has and is continuing to prove superior to Redline in any performance application criteria... ty it.. It's cheap enough.

Bafty

I've no idea what Caterham recommend, but I guess it's something from the Comma range. Redline MTL is recommended on here by a number of knowledgable contributors. It is easy to get from DT by mail order albeit rather pricey.

I am hoping that the gear change will be a little more slick with a cold gearbox. Right now it improves as things warm up.

Looking forward to half an hour with my head stuck down the footwell with a variety of funnels and pipes trying to get the oil into the gearbox rather than up my arm and all over the garage floor.

Jonathan

V Strange... what part of the world are you in???

Here in N America the stuff is on the parts area Shelves .. (of EVERY dealer I've ever been to and reputedly every one on this Continent.). gey plastic Bottles with red screw caps... Honda MTF label onna front.

Perhaps your Dealer is an Idiot Or there are strange goings on in the UK. It 's possible to Internet order the stuff.. dunno about postage.. Post if you want the Web Address.

JonathonG

The comment "I have no idea what Caterham recommend" if you do mined me saying is pretty dim ! *confused*

My car is less than 6 months old I have no wish to inform Mr Simon Lambert (again) in the event of another warrantee claim "its what's they recommended on Blatchat" *mad*

Caterham recommend Comma oil and that’s there choice, what they do state is the recommended grade of oil and MTL ain't that. If its pricey then more reason to use dare I say Comma oil

*wink*

R300NUT

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 29 Apr 2003 15:40:52

Bafty

My car was built in 1993, and the gearbox supplied new sometime after that. I purchased it in November from Caterham's, so the 3 months used car warranty has expired too. Warranty claims are not a consideration for me. The plate under the bonnet lists whatever brand of oil Caterham had a marketing deal with in 1993 for whatever spec the car came out of the works in.

If it was a new car my considerstations in choosing an oil maybe different, but since it isn't I'm happy to take the opinions of various contributors to Blatchat.

I have bought some Millers oil for the ZF LSD since Castrol Hypoy LS only comes in 5 litre cans, and put Halfords Synthetic in the engine beacause it is apparently the same stuff as Comma Syner-G and easier to get hold of.

When it blows up I don't expect any comeback or sympathy! You can remind me how dim I am again not to be worrying about Caterham approved oils.

Jonathan

A member of staff at CC recommended MTL to me a couple of months ago before their own branded stuff was available in 'retail' 1l packs. A trip to the factory with a jug was impractical and 20l too much so a recommendation (even page no) was given to the MTL in Demon Tweeks catalogue.

The GL4 rating of the oil was the primary issue to ensure correct operation of the synchros due to the Sierra heritage. GL5 is too slippy apparently and can make the box difficult to get in (and out of) gear.

As long as a GL4 spec oil is used I was told they would honour the warranty.

Redline 75w90 gear oil has LSD additives if you read the label - you have to pay extra for the same oil without additves (and buy the additive separately) if you want to add the LSD additive gradually.

Edited by - Mr Locust on 29 Apr 2003 21:20:04

Edited by - Mr Locust on 29 Apr 2003 21:21:21

JohnathonG

First and foremost the only make of oil endorsed by Caterham for gearboxes, that is until the Caterham branded stuff was "Ford" oil, the specification of that has changed inline with revised gearboxes manufactured by Ford hence is no longer suitable. This grade is not available as a branded Comma product !

It just proves my point reading the contributors comments, people are putting in all makes and grades of oil based on the opinions of "knowledgeable contributors" over that of Caterham or for that matter Ford the original manufacture.

Given the history of your lubrication it may be all academic ?

Edited by - Bafty Crastard on 30 Apr 2003 09:28:25

Bafty

It's my car and when it goes wrong I'll be paying the bill to repair it. I am happy to use a quality oil of suitable grade and API classification in engine, gearbox and diff which has worked well for other owners.

Phil kindly answered my query on how much I needed to buy, and others have come up with useful alternatives and suggestions of where I can source them.

If you are worried about warranty claims or beleive straying from the Caterham recommended path will damage your car then fair enough - that's your perogative. However please stop worrying about my lubrication!

Jonathan