Click here if you are having website access problems ×

De Dion Rear Brake upgrade

Nick T

Following a track day at Brands, I encountered a problem with the rear drum brakes, the brake linings detached from the shoes on one side. So rather than just replace everything is there a, not too expensive upgrade tha can be carried out.

Any thoughts greatly received

Would think you could convert to discs using the bits from a disc braked de dion car fairly easily. I've never even seen a drum braked de dion, they must be very rare, so I can't help you with detail but I'm sure new ears, calipers and discs would get you 90% of the way there. You would need to talk to Caterham parts dept about whether the bearing carriers, hubs etc are the same.

Someone who has gone to the race brakes would have most of what you need.

Not that rare, the deDion rear end was introduced in 1985, I'm not sure when the switch to discs was made, but if Nick's car is an '88 then there are a few of them about. My '86 car has them, they are the small drums from the Sierra and they have only overheated once, at Rockingham.

The handbrake works too *wink*

You could just go for better quality Linings. Ones that "come Unglued" sound like pure junk to me. Decent quality Riveted linings may be all you really need.

Disc Rears, while V Popular, are not really much of an improvement.. remember front brakes account for 80% of the braking on.. any.. car, and on poor quality Disc setups the Parking brake barely works...this may or not be a problem for you.. but it's actuall pupose is as an "emergency" brake.. something to consider as well.

bare

Did the upgrade to my 1987 De-dion car.

Caterham do a boxed kit of all the parts required including brake pipes, handbrake cables, calipers, pads, de-dion ears, discs, hubs, etc etc.

It cost about £300 in 1998.

As this is one of the "kits" listed in their price list for componet assembly it is sold at a better price than the sum of the parts and their dealers make a much smaller margin on it. for best price (in this instance) buy direct from Caterham.

I too have a De Dion with drums, and i have suffered the same fate of detached linings. But i find my car is better balanced than a lot of the newer 7 s i,ved driven.

But if you do wish to change to discs try Redline 01883 346515. im sure Mick can do you a kit and it will be cheaper than the factory *tongue*

Mark.

flares n, flames

Given upgradeitis round here, there must be rear calipers etc in peoples shed which would enable a quick up grade, perhaps without the high capital cost ?

Anthony

No engine, but 4 wheels, gearbox, diff and now Nitrons...

I did this conversion on Richard Larkhams car some years ago.

I also believe there is a good set of 2002 vintage rear calipers and discs in the Counts garage at the moment. All you then need are the drive flanges and you will be in business. You can email him at ramsden-board@ntlworld.com

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

• 2 weeks later...

Having got all the parts (I think), I cannot fit the calipers onto the ears as they come up against the Radius arms. Am I missing something, or are the radius arms of later cars different? Any ideas welcome.

Nick

The radius arms on the latest cars have long dimples pressed into them to clear the back of the calipers, have you got them? When the pads wear the calipers move errrrrm, towards the radius arms I think, have you got worn or new pads? If so then new or worn pads may help.