Click here if you are having website access problems ×

6 speed aluminium gearknobs

Tony Martyr

I was given one of these items from the demon tweeks catalogue for Christmas (what do you buy the man etc etc). It don't fit!

The new knob is drilled with a much smaller hole and thread than the gear-lever stub of my Caterham supplied 6 speed box. HaveI got an odd box or has DT got it expensively wrong?

Mick & I share the same taste in gear change knobs. I removed the thin momo centre logo and adapted a "Super Seven" badge (ala steering wheel boss) to fit instead!

At least the knob has a smaller hole! It can't be a difficult job to re tap to the correct size/thread. I know you shouldn't have to do that, but ain't life like that?

It may be of complete irrelevance, but does your gear lever stub have an "extension" piece threaded onto it (mines anodised green/black and believe this is "standard")? Or is it a single piece?

I *think* the threaded ends (that the knob fits onto) of the stub and extension are the same diameter (hence the irrelevant bit) but they may be slightly different if the sizing isn't far out...

I have a brand new, unused Momo alloy gear knob that would definitely fit for sale. It's a fantastic piece of kit (so good that tea leaves knicked my original one) but doesn't fit the colour scheme of my car now...Probably worth noting that it doesn't have the gate pattern (or anything come to mention it) engraved on the ball itself. Just Momo engraved on the collar.

C7 AJM

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 5 Jan 2001 09:27:58

Tony -

I fitted an ali knob to my 5-speed box (knob from Europa - £15 + 95p badge from Caterham = £25+ Caterham own-version). It also came with a smaller thread. The answer was supplied by an engineer friend who identified the gear box having a 3/8" whitworth thread as opposed to the modern metric hole in the knob. He re-tapped it for me & it screwed on perfectly. Might be what you need, too...

Jonathan

I got mine (5 speed) from James Whiting, and it looks very nice, in accord with my Motolita alloy wheel. It came with a 3 set screws which hold it onto the gear shaft - no problems with threaded end, etc. It came with the Caterham logo too cool.gif, identical to the wheel's.

Pierre

The answer is that the original Caterham knob is indeed fitted on a short extension that increases the thread size. It is difficult to see with the collar in place. I must get a light fitted in the middle of the garage. The DT knob fits the bare shaft after the extension is removed.

It does have a rather nice feel to it.