Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Squeaky rear suspension

DaveMorris

When getting in and out it's more obvious, but can also be heard when suspension is travelling up/down whilst on the move.

More noticeable on drivers side.

COuld it be srpings or damper related?

Is there anything which i could oil/grease to stop it doing this ?

Dave.

The squeak you refer to can be a result of not having assembled the outer A frame bolting washers in there correct positions. If you have the assembly manual check it out with that, alternatively contact Simon Lambert at Caterham (Dartford), he is very helpful and will sort the prob out, worked for me.

Thanks everyone.

I'm looking at changing teh a-frame bushes soon anyway (as I don't know when they were last done). I'll take that opportunity to check all washer positions and liberally lubricate any bits that look like they could be "the offending article".

Tx again,

Dave

I suffered with squeeky rear suspension all last year. Turns out a couple of small road surface stones had fallen between the top spring platform plate and the inside of the bodywork. That platform is very close to the inner side skin. I turned the whole assy through a couple of turns by hand until the stones fell out and voila... problem solved.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I had the same problem on my newbuild R300. A liberal squirt of Halfords Rubber and Nylon Lubricant on the A frame bushes solved the problem (very useful for over purposes as well

Dave C

WEL653

Dave

I had the same problem. Mine went in for Post build check and it was discovered the A frame wasn't centralised and also the a frame was upside down which makes it squeek. According to caterham this is a common occurance on newley built cars. In the earlier manuals it makes no reference to which way up the a frame should fit. Almost certainly your squeek is caused by either of the two above mentioned.

*thumbup*

Nick

It is not mentioned in the manual but the lugs at the chassis end are welded off centre of the A frame legs. Not by much but enough to make a difference when fitting. When the right way round the bolts slide in much easier!

Nick, sorry late in replying. When you look at the A Frame the mountings for the bushes are raised when you turn it one way up and when turned the other the A Frame appears to sit flat. Sorry if it sounds confusing. The A Frame needs mounting so that the surface appears to be flat at the bottom. Its apparent when you look at the A frame part that mounts on the de-dion tube. Imagine as a fist, the fingers need to be facing upwards. Phew!!

*thumbup*