Click here if you are having website access problems ×

side repeaters (yawn)

olij

Hi All,

sorry, bit of a boring question!

over the weekend an MOT tester decided that my 10 year old supersport suddenly needs side repeaters to pass the MOT. 🙆🏻.

Please could someone tell me the source of the side repeaters that Caterham use on cycle wings?

many thanks

Oli

They're nasty horrid things, they match the nasty horrid wipac glass reversing lights but nothing else about the car. If you have to fit side reapeaters then you can do a lot better than that. Of course if you're going to tape them on for the MOT and remove them the next day then it doesn't matter.

But if you're planning to fit them permanently then use something else please. Lots of people have a fitted Ford wing repeaters let into the side of the car, just below the bonnet, just behind the lights, they're neat. Somebody has fitted repeaters into the headlight bowls, not sure what they used for this.

Or try a different MOT man......

I have clear side repeaters which are very small and are in the side of the headlight bowls, I have smaller headlights as well so it's a net solution.

The units I have are aftermarket items designed for the Fiat line. These can be found on the Fiat Coupe or even the F355 so the pedigree is good or bad *smile* The Fiat units are amber only I think.

They look pretty neat and pass SVA/MOT without a hitch.

shrewdcookie - my site

Same as the other guys I was fed up with the side repeater indicators on the wings going wrong. Bulbs would constantly blow due to vibration and the wires would break. Like them I now have mine in the headlamp bowls. Not sure of the exact legality of this but they now give no probs at all and as they are larger are now more visible

Edited by - Graham Perry on 23 Apr 2003 07:18:27

My car has small repeaters mounted inside the triangle base of the windscreen frame, which are very inconspicuous, I'd like to replace them with clear lenses to make them even less noticeable.

Fiat Seicento side repeaters look like a good choice for a Se7en, very small, round, clear lenses.(on later cars).

Kermit the K *smile*

Oli J,

I suspect the MOT tester is talking b******s (unless you've got flared wings). According to the testers manual, a single front bulb is ok if it is of a wrap around style, which the bullet type lenses could be. The test they're supposed to apply if they're unsure is that the flashing indicator has to be visible when the tester observes from a position 1m away from the side of the car when standing in line with rear axle. Easily visible on mine (but I have cycle wings). As you've probably guessed this knowledge came in handy when I recently got mine MOT'd - also a Cat friendly garage!

James.

Edited by - jp on 23 Apr 2003 22:01:08

Thanks for all the advice guys.

James - I will give the tester a call tomorrow and mention your comments, I have got 13inch wheels with cycle wings so the flash should be visible - I'll go and check now!

Anyway, you can see the rear indicators flash from the side, but I assumed the side indicator had to be on the forward half of the car or something?

thanks again, I will post his answer (this is going to be fun *tongue*)

Oli (I JUST WANT MY CAR READY FOR BROOKLANDS!)

I am about to start building my roadsport and would love to avoid having to fix the side repeaters to the front cycle wings, can anyone advise on the likleyhood of passing SVA with alternative repeaters fitted to either the headlamp bowls, or to the side of the car, if the later, is there a prefered position? I will be having the cat SVA tested in Gillingham if that makes any difference.

Cheers Andy

Hi James

I got the indicators from caterham and they had no nut on the fixings so i rang the MOT bloke, explained that I wouldn't be able to fit the indicators properly and was there any other way around it. I mentioned your angle of view but he just said to tape them on! I got no definitive answer I'm afraid but he seemed to think that you had to be able to see the indicator when standing parallel to the car, looking at the front, but like I say I couldn't get a definitive answer (he wasn't going to go and read the book for me).

thanks for your help, guess I scraped through

oli

• Leadership Team

JP - you're correct about the wrap around type, but missed a key point out - in addition to being wrap around and therefore visible from the side, in order to pass the MOT requirement they must be "E" marked as such - the MOT testers manual is absolutely clear about this. Caterham indicators DO NOT have the E-mark, therefore alone are not sufficient. The MOT tester in question is correct on this one.

Stu.