Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres and brakes

daniel smith

I have a 1989 live axle Caterham. I have 15" wheels with new Yoko tyres(195x50x15). I believe the tyres to be too hard compound as they do not warm up and feel quite flighty.

I was hoping someone would be able to recommend some sticky road tyres (dry use only) that will fit my wheels.

In addition what brake pads and shoes can I fit to my car to increase braking efficiency.

Look forward to hear from you. Regards.

Standard comment, as this has been discussed so many times, especially for a live axle - sell your existing wheels/tyres and get a set of 13" wheels with 185/70R13 Yoko A021Rs from George Polley for around 100ukp per corner.

This tyre size works particularly well on the live axle chassis and the tyres have brilliant grip in dry and wet conditions. I cannot see any details of A021Rs or A032Rs in your current size, which would imply that your current tyres are for standard tin-tops and hence would never get warm enough to work properly.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Thank you Graham/Colin

I don't doubt that your recommended solution will ultimately offer the best package, however I don't want to purchase additional wheels as I feel my present wheels go well with my car. Any recommendations on 15" tyres.

Many thanks

Dan

Coo, you are in for some fun now.We had all better hope that people are going to be kind to you on the basis that you are a novice.

In summary, 15" wheels are very out of fashion on this forum. Not esp. my position, I wouldn't pretend to know, but Those Who Know say yokos 022 or 032 in 185/13, 70 profile for road, 60 for track days are the way to go. They cite reduced unsprung weight, better feel, etc.

Me, I recently wore out a set of admittedly well worn 032s in just over 1000 road miles. I can't live with that sort of wear and I have bought 185/60/13 Bridgestone RE720s. These are not yet bedded in and more prone to sudden oversteer in bumpy corners 😳 but i hope they will improve once I get to the softer compound beneath. They are rec. for the sprint series. Whether they will work in 15 size I don't know, but I hope they will be a better compromise for the road. I still have the 32s for track days if nec.

good luck, and be ready for the forthcoming storm re 15s.

Hi Daniel

I have 15" with A539 Yoko and they are perfect for road.

If you want them warm then you must use a low pressure

1.25 bar (16 psi I think)

For circuit I have 13" with 032 185/60 13"

very brilliant for the trackdays, the car feels more secure.

For touring, as you don't know the ground clearance you will need

15" is better, same answer for the rain, same for the budget.

I have ordered (today) 185/70 13" 021 to test

But I will keep them as the 032 for special events as I use my car very often I don't want to have an hugde budget on tyre

Regards

Eric

Daniel

Sorry for my above answer, the right answer to your question is :

A038 Yoko in 195/50 15 (Lotus 340 R tyre)

A032 Yoko in 195/55 15 better in the wet than 038 but not terrific in standing water and higher

CR500 Avon 195/45 15" expensive and lower (same than 185/60 13")

regards

Eric

Dan

The R500's are 195/45/15 which will be to low profile considering how close your sump is to the tarmac now.

You can get Yoko 032R's in 195/55/15 albiet at £100ish each, in which case you would be better off to buy a new set of wheels with Yoko 021R's although I'm not sure about the 70 profile as I can feel the sides going on 60 profile when pushed hard. 185/60/13's might lower your car so again watch your sump. You will improve the unsprung weight will 13" wheels so if you can get the ride hight there's another benifit.

The new Yoko 048R's look and sound as if they are great but I don't know what sizes they are available in, personally I think 032R's are better than the 21's so if you have the clearance get 032R's 185/60/13's allround or even 205 at the rear, they should last for 3000-3500 miles.

If its looks you are worried about you can always paint the centers of the new Minilights. I don't know why you want PINK wheels anyway 🤔 it must be something too do with having come from a mint green Porky 968 😬

With regard the brakes if you want to slow down quicker put the windscreen on it or change the rear drums to disks. James Whiting is the man to talk to he knows all about stopping quick cars with live axles 01784 241466.

batteredoldsupersport

I noticed what you said about switching from 032s to 720s. I have just done the same two weeks back. I cannot find a ref on site to the pressures that I should run at. 185/60/13s *confused* Clearly this is for road use.

If you know the answer or are just experimenting like me. I would be interested to hear. I am running at 16psi and find them a bit too squidgy when being pushed. *confused* 🙆🏻

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

Rupe,

I ran my RE720's at 18psi for the road and they felt quite squishy when pushing on. Recently upped that to 19psi (yes, just a single point) and they appear better - still don't inspire much confidence though, but hoping they get better as they get scrubbed in (600 miles on them so far)

SteveP

EBC Greenstuff pads are the order of the day for barke pads. I have used them in a 1380 cc Mini for ages now, and they are fantastic. I know a mini aint a 7, but it weighs more and has drums at the back. If they will slow a mini wearing 165/70 10 Yoko A008's, they should slow down a 7 which weighs about 150kg less, has wider track, and a lower C of G. Give em a try mate. *smile*