Click here if you are having website access problems ×

NVH - placement of gearbox in transmission tunnel

JAL73

1 hour ago, JAL73 said:

yes, new engine mounts and gearbox mounts, and new Redline diff oil as recommended by Road&RaceTransmissions. 

Was out in a friends roadsport which has a 2L duratec with 420 cams but not lightened flywheel. It has a ford 5 speed box (doesnt touch tunnel walls) and open BMW diff. That car had almost no NVH, no chattering on over run, silky smooth and very fast. 

The lightened flywheel is the root of the chattering and the open diff the rest of the solution. 
Thats a good road setup, might be a little limited on track. 

Mines incredibly noisy (looking at you Titan LSD!) but back when I purchased a 7 the one bit of advice that stuck with me was expect everything to constantly sound like its broken.. 🤣

Of course this doesn't stop me over thinking every sound and over checking everything all the time.

The more 'race car' you go the more you have to expect the rawness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris SSR400 said:

Mines incredibly noisy (looking at you Titan LSD!) but back when I purchased a 7 the one bit of advice that stuck with me was expect everything to constantly sound like its broken.. 🤣

Of course this doesn't stop me over thinking every sound and over checking everything all the time.

The more 'race car' you go the more you have to expect the rawness.

A reasonable comment IMO. As long as you can stand the noise. We all wear ear plugs don’t we? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

SWMBO had a good laugh at my expense a couple of weeks ago when she had to dig around with a pair of tweezers in my ear to extract an ear plug which was inserted just a bit too far.

Oops