Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Non Starter!

My 1.6 1996 Super Sport won't start.  I was getting it ready for the driving season and just refitted a fully charged battery.  All I get on pressing the starter button is clicking from the ECU.  The starter is not jammed.  ECU whirrs on switch off, so it's clearly getting power.  Never had this problem before.  Where should I start looking and what are the likely causes?

It's known as the K series click, and there's a very long list of possible causes. I recommend searching using that term eg:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:caterhamlotus7.club+k+click

Do you have a multimeter and the relevant wiring diagrams?

Is it the sort of battery where you can check the fluid levels, and if so is it topped up?

What's the battery voltage at rest, and the minimum during the attempt to start?

Do you have another battery or vehicle which you could use to jump start as a test?

Check the wiring and the connections in all of the relevant circuits: battery, starter, engine earths.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

Assuming battery is good I’d suggest checking and cleaning all the electrical contacts on the starter, battery and earths. K series click is normally only when engine is hot. 

Thanks all!  I didn't have to go further than base one.  Multi meter revealed that the battery was only delivering 10.7 amps, so it was never going to start.  I had assumed that it was fine as it had been run through a full recon cycle on my CTEK conditioner. and was showing green lights.  Just goes to show.  I think I had left the battery discharged for too long.  The months slip by so quickly!

Regards!

11 hours ago, Fastinmydreams said:

Thanks all!  I didn't have to go further than base one.  Multi meter revealed that the battery was only delivering 10.7 amps, so it was never going to start.  I had assumed that it was fine as it had been run through a full recon cycle on my CTEK conditioner. and was showing green lights.  Just goes to show.  I think I had left the battery discharged for too long.  The months slip by so quickly!

Regards!

Amps or volts ?