Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiring question - I have two wires and dont know where they go

Ainsley

Almost finished my 420R build and just about completed all the wiring.

When sorting the wires at the front, I've done the lights and repeaters, connected the fan and the horn, but seem to be left with two female connectors.

Lights / indicators are obvious - tested and working.

Fan obvious due to the connector being specifically shaped.

Horns - tested and working.

But I still have two female spade style connections on the loom and no idea where they go.  The dry sump tank does have a sender, but I dont think anything connects to it as there is no oil temp gauge in the car (yet), so it cant be that.

Of the two left, one has just one wire to it, the other has two wires terminating at the connector.  Im confused.

See pic for details:

DSCN0083.JPG

DSCN0084.JPG

Edited by Ainsley

Only 2....think yourself lucky....or you are not looking hard enough!    Mine had loads of spare wires because the loom was used for many different configurations and was a`fit all types` loom. I just lashed them away out of sight! *silly*

• Leadership Team

If those are all black, which they look to be in the photographs, they’re both negative (earth) connections to the chassis.

Don’t remember those from my build - can you photograph where they enter the loom and I’ll take a look if that helps.

Just had a look - if they emerge from the loom that contains the horn connectors then I believe it is the earth and signal for the oil temperature sender (if you fitted it) at the the bottom of the dry sump tank.

Edited by AlastairA
Update

They are black and they do emerge from the loom that contains the horn connectors.  So as you suggest AlastairA, they must be the earth and signal for the oil temp sender.

Which is the oil temp sender then, the one with two wires I presume ?

Where do I connect the earth one then ?

Thanks.

The connector with the two wires (both brown & black) connects onto the sender. For the earth, I included a connector tab between the bottom of the dry sump tank and the P-Clip mounting - verifying with a multimeter that it was making a good contact with the chassis earth.

The plan is, at some point when I have time, I'll do find the other end of the sender cable behind the dash and do the switch mod to allow either the oil or water temperature to be displayed on the guage. The only question I have at the moment is why there are two wires in the sender connector and I haven't yet looked at the wiring diagram to figure that out.

Edited by AlastairA

OK, that makes sense, thanks AlastarA.  I will do as you have and connect the sender up and earth the other wire.

Does anyone have an actual wiring diagram - I looked in the technical section and couldn't find one for the Duratec.

I've got some bits to fit once I've run the car in, one being the dual temp / pressure gauge. 

The oil/water interface thing supplied by Premier Power.

A nice alloy breather catch tank and a nice alloy header tank, which will go on once I've sorted the ITB etc.  That's the post summer project.

17 minutes ago, AlastairA said:

Please could you clip and post the relevant bit of the diagram.

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi Ainsley. I had the same 2 wires left during my 360R build. Caterham informed me they were used for different Caterham models containing the stack-dash and were not required for my installation. As you have suggested they are likely to be for other sensors for additional info fed to the stack-dash configuration.

Glad to hear the build is going well.