Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R Radiator Woes - Solutions?

Handwheels

At the top of the rad I see yr2022wk38 - 300C004a 

My second radiator, same model but built yr2022wk36, started leaking in February after just less than 6k miles. The original unit also did just less than 6000 miles.

I’ve just replaced it with a Radtec unit.

I had a tuned mk3 MX5 with a 2.0l Duratec pretty much the same as my 420. I used red coolant in it from new for 15 years and never has an issue with a leaking radiator. 

MattB

I've had red (Ford red OAT) coolant in my R400D for 11 years and 39,000km / 24,000 miles. It is stored for 6 months of the year without being started. Still on the original radiator, if not the original engine. Just switching to Ford yellow OAT with the new engine due to the Ford red being discontinued.

• Like 1

As with any problem that takes time to be noticed and starts small, it not surprising there are lots of theory's, anecdotal reasons and solutions.

Basically the leaks have nothing to do with the colour of the coolant, as there are a variety of colours being used with a variety of results.

A leak is a hole / crack - that's either poor manufacturing or stress related.  

Given the radiator is shaken about quite a bit it and the chassis twists when jacking up and some of us build the car and some hose solutions are not perfect -  its likely these, or a combination of, are probable causes.

10 hours ago, MattB said:

My second radiator, same model but built yr2022wk36, started leaking in February after just less than 6k miles. The original unit also did just less than 6000 miles.

I’ve just replaced it with a Radtec unit.

I had a tuned mk3 MX5 with a 2.0l Duratec pretty much the same as my 420. I used red coolant in it from new for 15 years and never has an issue with a leaking radiator. 

MattB

Well,  I guarantee mine will leak as soon as the car warranty expires in 5 months :)

Would you mind sending me the link to the replacement radtec you are all using so I have it on hand?

1 hour ago, Ainsley said:

Basically the leaks have nothing to do with the colour of the coolant, as there are a variety of colours being used with a variety of results.

That's my current conclusion. But have you read Radtec's note on the subject?

Jonathan

PS: This would all be so much easier if the relevant knowledge wasn't scattered across so many threads. 

No, I've not read Radtec's note - where is it ?

Perhaps there should be a summary of issues and solutions curated and kept in the Technical guide section ?

Its too easy for quality information / help to be lost as its spread about everywhere and when you search you get several threads, some of which are pages long.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I've removed my leaky rad I've had a closer looked at the mounting brackets - and I'm now thinking of ditching the silly Z brackets and welding a small tab on the bottom of the chassis-radiator bracket. This would be aligned with the mounting points on the radiator and set back enough to allow the use of significantly longer & slightly narrower bobbins. It would be possible to fit in 25mm dia. x 30mm bobbins instead of the existing 30mm dia. x 15mm ones. Unfortunately, I can't see a way of using longer bobbins at the bottom of the radiator, but I think it's a case of 'every little helps'! I wouldn't make any other modifications to the chassis-radiator bracket, so in theory I could remove the new tab and return to the factory set up if required.

I'm also planning to follow the lead of others, and cut back the rigid top hose and use a straight connector to fit a section of silicone hose. I bought a silicone 620 top hose, as recommended, but at first glance it doesn't seem to align with the angled top hose connector on the radiator - so I'm looking at other silicone hose options.

Also, once I've finally got a new radiator fitted I will never use the towing eye as a jacking point again!!

The attached pics show the existing set-up and my bobbin bracket proposal. I'd welcome any comments on my plans 😁

Thanks for all the comments & advice I've already received

Cheers, Richard

Existing upper rad brackets.png

Proposed rad brackets.png

So a longer bobbin would flex more, that sounds like a solution that will help eliminate vibration further.

I would perhaps fabricate a bracket that just replaced the Z bracket, not weld on a new tab.  

All you need is a Z with a longer horizontal section.  You could fabricate one up out of mild steel with a vice as a prototype to see how it all fits together first.  Rather than the pretty permanent welding option.

What matters for those brackets is avoiding any load on the radiator as it's attached and tightened up. Mocking it up somehow or other is a good idea but after that it would be lighter and simpler to make a custom bracket with fewer fasteners. If it involves fabrication there are some very helpful, skilled and generous Members...

IIUC you could use the existing bobbins by taking up the extra distance in the bracket rather than with a longer bobbin.

Jonathan

10 hours ago, Handwheels said:

I'm also planning to follow the lead of others, and cut back the rigid top hose and use a straight connector to fit a section of silicone hose. I bought a silicone 620 top hose, as recommended, but at first glance it doesn't seem to align with the angled top hose connector on the radiator - so I'm looking at other silicone hose options.

Photos, please.

I don't understand either how many variants there are or how the hose exerts load on the hose stub of the radiator.

Jonathan