Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo stuck, any ideas?

Evening all,

Went out for a drive this evening only to discover an issue. 

My speedo needle was stuck at full rotation past max speed near the reset button. When I turn on the ignition it does the sweep like the rest but rather then going to 0 it goes to the opposite. 

I switched the ignition on and back off before it finished the sweep and now seems to be stuck at 30MPH. It's like it' forgotten where '0' is...

Has anyone else seen/had an issue like this? was was fine a few weeks ago when I went for a short drive.

10 hours ago, Jonathan Kay said:

What's the model, engine and year?

If the speedo “sweeps” when ignition is turned out, I’d assume it’s a recent car, so has a rear wheel hall sensor.

Beyond that, I can’t add much other than the equivalent of “turn it off and on again” - disconnect battery and/connectors and try again.

1 hour ago, BigCol said:

If the speedo “sweeps” when ignition is turned out, I’d assume it’s a recent car, so has a rear wheel hall sensor.

Beyond that, I can’t add much other than the equivalent of “turn it off and on again” - disconnect battery and/connectors and try again.

Yup new style gauges. all was working fine until yesterday. 

I don't believe it to be the rear wheel sensor as the miles are still being recorded and accurately. 

It's like the dial has forgotten where zero is after doing the sweep. I've turned it on and off a few times and now it's stuck at 10mph. When I next get some free time I'll take the car back out and see what happens when I drive over 10mph.  

Will report back. 

I have also emailed Caerbont asking if they have any knowledge of this issue. 

I had this issue and was told that my reluctor ring on the RHS drive shaft had slipped out of position. I have a 2020 420R SV.

Next time it was in the garage they moved the reluctor ring back into position and secured it and Ive not experienced any issues with my speedo sticking since that fix. 

8 minutes ago, JAL73 said:

I had this issue and was told that my reluctor ring on the RHS drive shaft had slipped out of position. I have a 2020 420R SV.

Next time it was in the garage they moved the reluctor ring back into position and secured it and Ive not experienced any issues with my speedo sticking since that fix. 

I'll take a look, but I don't think that is my issue as my millage is recording and doing so accurately.

This is issue is a difficult one to explain as the speed doesn't stick when in use its on the initial 'start up' of the gauges when the ignition is switch on. On the recent blat I had no speed read out as the needle was all the way round past the 160mph. 

I've turned the ignition on and off a few times when checking things over to see if I could see any connection issue and it seems to have reset itself. 

Whenever it stops raining and im free I'll get back out to test it. 

Hopefully it was just a glitch... will see.