Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fluid leak Duratec R400, bellhousing

PROBE2

Hello

Looking for some guidance from those with experience.

I have a fluid leak on a R400 Duratec, from the joint between engine and bellhousing. A small puddle. It only leaks when engine running. I have done the smell and texture test and I can eliminate gearbox oil so it’s either engine oil or clutch fluid. I have pressed the clutch pedal whilst engine not running plus checked sump line for leaks and can’t recreate leak so looking like rear engine seal?

I have a known level now on clutch master cylinder so was looking to run the engine again and see if leak reappears and see if clutch fluid level drops just to confirm. Either way I understand it’s an engine out job. I just want to ascertain fluid type before removal.

Any other considerations?

Question is, any damage likely if I run the engine again if it might have a rear seal leaking, obviously keeping eye on fluid levels?

many thanks

Paul

1 hour ago, PROBE2 said:

I just want to ascertain fluid type before removal.

...any damage likely if I run the engine again if it might have a rear seal leaking, obviously keeping eye on fluid levels?

Clutch fluid is generally much less viscous than engine oil, and paler in colour as well.   Can you compare what's in the puddle with a sample of fluid from your clutch reservoir?

Running the engine again is most unlikely to damage anything.  (But I do agree with ScottR400D's comment above.)

I have to say, it looks like a rear-seal leak.

JV

There is a very different feeling to brake (clutch) fluid and engine oil on your fingers. If it was clutch fluid, expect to find the level has dropped in the master cylinder.

Edited by SM25T