Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake upgrade

Ainsley

I've bought a nice aluminium handbrake handle (at great expense) to replace the horrible plastic one.

How do I get the offending item off ?

I've read somewhere that you can just use some mole grips and abuse it by twisting it.  Well I tired that, all that happened was I stressed the whole handbrake in the chassis.  The offending plastic bit didn't budge.

Do I keep trying, or shall I resort to cutting it off with my angle grinder ?

It should just come off if you tug hard enough 🤭 if not then some mole grips should do the job. Angle grinder sounds extreme. 

Fitting the new one is the real bugger. There is a lip on the underside of the lever that you need to grind down to get the new cover on. 

Oh, bugger.  

I may just take the lever out then and sort it while its stuck in my bench vice.

If I need to abuse it more with Mole Grips and then grind a lip off it, well better out of the car than trying to do that in it.

This thread is an innuendo lover’s paradise!

I removed my original handbrake as suggested above - twisting and pulling…. also as above, file/grind the lump at the bottom of the handbrake before fitting your ali one.

Otherwise, it’ll be a bitch to get off when you decide to go carbon instead (ask me how I know…)

Mine had been copiously glued on and no amount of twisting was removing it.

I ended up carefully cutting it off with a Stanley knife and peeling it away. I believe the notch on the metal handbrake lever you’re left with requires filing slightly to get the new one on. It’s a while since I did mine!

22daz

I took the whole thing out of the car, clamped it in a vice and mullered it like a caveman.

Once it started to twist I twatted it off with a hammer.

Then filed the weld lump down and slotted on the nice new "upgrade".

• Haha 1

My experience was similar but with some added bleeding knuckles and a whole bunch of grinding dust from the stemmed to clean out of the cockpit. Brilliant little upgrade though, gives you a few hours in the garage without interruption 🙂