Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carpet Fitting ... with the Track Day Roll Bar already fitted

Britspud

Hi All - me again...you can tell I'm getting near the end of my build!! Well it feels like that anyway...

So when my kit first arrived, I read in the manual that the roll bar had to go in before you could fit the rear suspension. I saw no reason to wait, and it was one of the first things I did...a job done and a big box gone! It's a track day roll bar with the cross struts..and I also remember reading that the harness shoulder bolts on the far left and right hand side are too long to fit after the roll bar is attached. So I duly also fitted the shoulder harness straps before putting the bar on. 

Months later and the rear suspension is all fitted. I then read something that made me think that I should also have installed the bulk head carpet before because of the vinyl bit at the top which also goes under the boot cover and harness bolts.

I'm away from the car at the moment but have attached the below pic, which was just after I'd fitted the roll bar and top harnesses. You can see the bolts on either side...which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to completely remove in order to lay the carpet strip along that member.

Am I over thinking this? Or am I indeed going to have to remove the coilovers and loosen the roll bar in order to fit the bulkhead carpet?

Cheers all.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ed8a7dde4c14c61207cf88496c7e126.jpeg

Thanks P7 ... well I guess that's me taking it all apart then! Unless of course I can cut slits into the holes allowing me to just undo the bolts a bit and slip it under and onto the bolt stems.... 😉

• Leadership Team

If you fitted the bolts from underneath, above the shocks, you won’t be able to insert the vinyl strip even with slots for the harness bolts. Unfortunately it’s as you’re expecting ….

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Drumster said:

....and it is often quicker too.

It shouldn't be that bad a job...I've read on other threads the sequence. The thing that worries me is getting the top damper bolts back in again...I remember that being a right pain in the @rse. Anyway, thanks all...sounds like I will be doing it!!

Edited by Britspud

• Leadership Team

Make yourself a wooden wedge to put under the rollbar to raise it above the chassis tube, then use the wedge to gradually lower the bar as you insert the harness bolt. 

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 20:01, Graham Hutton said:

Good looking car! I did exactly the same thing when I built mine. I like the foam on the end of your front axle stands. How many times have you whacked your shins on them so far. I was quite good at that 🙂

Hi Graham...I learned from other's mistakes!! My wife hit her shins on them when I first got the car on those wheeled stands...the language was educational, as was the implication of blame towards me. Thus, the lagging 😉

• Like 1

Have fun! The build is a special time. I loved every second of it. Just had my first MOT this morning which means 3 years since I finished it. Where did that time go? 

When I finished the build I remember saying to my wife that I have enjoyed it so much it is hard to imagine I will have a similar number of enjoyable hours driving it. How wrong I was, it's been a blast and 9000miles later it's part of our family.

• Like 1