Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle body options - 420R

Mrb00ns

Hi Chris, I’m upgrading my R400D to around 250bhp spec with Raceline Direct-to-Head 48mm Jenveys with 90mm ram pipes and Pipercross filter. An unlocked ECU (or a Tuner who can work on the locked Caterham MBE ECUs) and remapping will be required, of course.

https://www.raceline.co.uk/products/part_section.asp?SectionID=13&CategoryID=1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lapsedtheorist said:

I’ve just built a 420R which has an S3 chassis and am curious to know whether individual throttle bodies akin to the above fit and work without cutting a hole in the bonnet?

A hole is required on an S3 to fit airfilter or airbox. personally I think it looks great but Im bias.

This is the ex-VAT list price of the Raceline parts, besides adapting the throttle cable and any sundries. I would expect with tuning time it will be about £2,000 plus VAT: You might already have the ‘green’ injectors, but the lower capacity ‘blue’ ones were fitted to my R400D from the factory and will max out with any increase above the standard Caterham 210bhp on the plenum system.

Part Notes Quantity Ex-VAT Price
Raceline DTH Throttle Bodies Set (Ported) 48mm, ported, with seals Set £595
Throttle Linkage inc Bracket Jenvey CLS1 1 £127
Throttle Linkage Mounting Bracket Jenvey LBU2  1 £24
Throttle Body Mounting Capscrew Set    1 £8
Ram Pipe 48x90mm 4 £160
Fuel Injectors Bosch Green 4 £260
Injector Port Blanks   4 £20
Air Filter + Backing Plate   1 £97
Throttle Position Sensor Jenvey TP1  1 £77
Jetronic female to Uscar male adapters Various Amazon sellers  4 £20
Total     £1,388

Worth checking what pressure reg you have fitted as you can calculate the injector flow and requirement from that..

Inlet length should be checked on the rollers as there are good gains to be had here. 

If you opt for injectors in the throttle bodies then there's more expense with fuel rails and pico injectors. 

If you go to but Bosch green giants please buy from a reputable source as there are many copies out there. 

• Support Team

A good point from 7 Wonders - if you have the injectors in the TB instead of the stock position, the Bosch green injectors don't fit with a flat filter backplate so you need to buy the shorter pico injectors.

I am interested in upgrading my 420R to Jenveys and heard Nothampton Motorsport were one of the best in the business at doing this upgrade.

Incl VAT they quoted me £2,042 in parts and 11 hours labour at £1,176 to install and map on their rolling road. It looks like 6.5hours of installation work and 4.5hours of mapping/ callibraiton.

They recommended 45mm ITBs for under bonnet fitment. They quoted an extra £350ish for cutting a hole in bonnet to accomodate an extrnal air box. I guess an external box allows for colder/denser air intake and maybe to allow for bigger trumpets, but not sure how much extra performance this would give? 

My car currently starts and idles perfectly, has great low revs/ low throttle manners and I cant really say it lacks power, however I love the noise of ITB cars make at high rpm! 

As its a non-trivial amount of money I'd love to experience Jenveys before I buy. So if anyone in Surrey/ London area would offer a demo I''d be eternally grateful. 

Here's the breakdown of my quote (under bonnet mount) for those interested.

Jenvey Quote.png

Edited by JAL73

9 hours ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

The above doesn't specify whether your looking at 45mm or 48mm TB's, the later would permit further upgrades cams or head etc without additional outlay with no adverse effects on your current set up.

They suggested 45mm but that might be because I said I didn’t want to cut a hole in the bonnet (my car is SV body). Do you know what bhp or torque diffs 48mm offer over 45mm on a like for like comparison? 

Why don't you want a hole in the bonnet, looks or extra cost ?

Hole in the bonnet = cold air = more power.

Also means they fit the best length trumpet, which has a direct effect on where in the rev range you get the power.

it certainly makes the car look a little more racecar/menacing/purposeful/etc having the airvent hanging out the side 😄 induction noise is increased which can be a bad thing with noise limits. it does sound mad at full blast. it sounds like it's trying to suck the earth into it! 😄 enjoy the braaaaaaps

Edited by graearea
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ainsley said:

Why don't you want a hole in the bonnet, looks or extra cost ?

Hole in the bonnet = cold air = more power.

Also means they fit the best length trumpet, which has a direct effect on where in the rev range you get the power.

Don’t want the hole for two reasons

1. I’m personally not a fan of the external box looks, prefer cleaner look for bonnet but each to their own

2. Noise - i understand that ITBs are noisier than single plenum, and even noisier if airbox is outside. I would be really unhappy if I spent a chunk of money on performance upgrades and then but then got black flagged for noise on track where you really want to unleash it all.

Most tracks seem to be 101-105db static noise limit and I think I’m currently around 97/98db static on a factory standard single plenum.

Some of the through the bonnet ITB's are shrouded in a box to keep the noise down, some are just a filter sticking out, which I imagine are more noisy.

When I was discussing this with Premier Power, they did advise their airbox solution to keep the noise down, its a sort of half / half.

image.png.9c3a7a25e0a4e1dc31c67d0dff0ea333.png

Edited by Ainsley