Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Magneton Starter Solenoid Replacement

Andrew Willcox

Just discovered the plastic cap on my starter solenoid is cracked with copper terminals showing.

From past threads it looks like the solenoid can be replaced, any recommendations on where to source one from?

Alternatively, any recommendations on auto electricians in the Worcester area that could service?

Also interested if anyone has a spare solenoid or starter on the shelf I could buy.

Thanks!

IMG_0137.jpeg

Edited by Willcoxa
Photo didn’t upload

4 hours ago, Nick Bassett said:

Agree with what Gridgway has said - I've used them a couple of times and found them to very helpful. Fortunately only a few miles from me.

It may have been you Nick who recommended them to me in the first place.

So here's the latest.  I phoned Kev to buy a slimline hi torque starter for my BDR.  The standard one that has the big lump on the side doesn't work in my BDR as the side lump (sorry for the non techy description) ends up hanging down too low.  So he contacted Powerlite and worked out the appropriate one with them.  Then he phoned me back and told me the model, but that Powerlite were out of stock and would be for some time.  Fair enough I thought.  But he had gone on ebay and found an ebay supplier for me to buy it from - which I then did.  So I now have the perfect starter courtesy of Kev and he got nothing from it all, other than my recommendations on threads like this!

Be very careful of exchange Magneton starters i had one from the people who took over from the  supplier to Caterham Magnetron starter.

It had the wrong number of teeth on the pinion But also turned the Wrong way,  as these where made for front wheel drive VAG cars.

Richard.