Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half doors - fabrication and fitting options…

JAL73

I’d like to get some half doors - just wondering if there was any brand/ supplier (other than Caterham) which people recommend?

I understand that they can be made in vinyl, plastic or carbon. What are the various fixing options to the car?

Can they be hinged or do they have to be attached by poppers and thus require new poppers riveted to the side body/ scuttle? My preference would be hinged. 

Any pictures of what people have and how they are attached would be very helpful!

Westerman half doors

Mine fit to existing tonneau poppers. And one small piece of 3M dual lock at the front where it sits inside the scuttle to stop it rattling and keeps it away from the main beam switch as it sits very close! 

I also added some 1mm thick self adhesive foam strip to the edge of the door, cut to shape so it doesn’t rub the paint on inside of the scuttle.

IMG_5365.jpeg.c8cb17e4e15749a60abe698819361b4e.jpeg

IMG_5364.jpeg.1f237829f4696853635627462936d9b6.jpeg

Colin 

1 hour ago, 7 wonders of the world said:

Speak to Steve at YC plastics South Wales he makes some great quality ABS versions in black or carbon effect  *thumbup*

but only for under-sized 7s; not for those of us with SVs (Sensible Versions). 😢

I saw a previous thread on YC plastics half doors but IIRC there was talk of needing a heat gun to mould them to fit properly which put me off as I’d prefer more direct fit than that.

Also someone mentioned something about preferring plastic half doors to carbon fibre half doors on safety grounds - why would carbon fibre half doors be less safe than plastic ones? 

33 minutes ago, JAL73 said:

Also someone mentioned something about preferring plastic half doors to carbon fibre half doors on safety grounds - why would carbon fibre half doors be less safe than plastic ones? 

Carbon fibre can shatter into many pieces  on impact, ABS plastic wont, is probably the reason

• Area Representative

I bought some YC plastics 1/2 doors some time ago.  Way too thick to heat and bend into shape, gave up.  

Nick