Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery for csr 200

Bigape

The banner has gone yet again ( regular occurrence)

Wondering would it be worth changing over to a lithium?

Which one does everyone use,  if they have changed over . Do you keep it in the original position?

Thanks alot in advance.

• Area Representative

Wondering would it be worth changing over to a lithium?

That depends upon why the Banner is failing.  There is nothing wrong with Banners per se.  When you say "regular", how many years between changes?

Is there parasitic drain; a problem I had with my K Series 21 but not with my Crossflow engined Seven. 

My father had this issue with his CSR200 during his ownership. 3 banners in quite a short space of time. The only parasitic drain is the immobiliser so my dad used to take the battery off over winter. Since I inherited the CSR I have kept in on an Optimate battery charger/condition plugged in via the cig lighter between the seats. This will be its third winter plugged in and so far *touch wood* no problems starting it when needed. 
I am however always on the lookout for a litihum replacement to fit directly into the battery tray (above my legs) and have only found a Magnetti Marelli one thats a straight swap measurement wise. 

24 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

I am however always on the lookout for a litihum replacement to fit directly into the battery tray (above my legs) and have only found a Magnetti Marelli one thats a straight swap measurement wise. 

Which model is that?

And what's the maximum size that will fit?

Jonathan

27 minutes ago, PlastererPete said:

The one I found is this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142034511266?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=BfkXD5ZWQaS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=m7NV-5oRR3q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Its almost exactly the same dimensions so very minimal alterations or packing required to fit in the tray. 

Thanks.

Discussion of the Marelli 53034.

Is that a package including the battery management system or just the battery? Discussed here.

Jonathan

Thanks for all the comments, 

I do have a parasitic load comming from the mobilizer. 

I always use the isolation switch and connect a cyet,mxs5.0 direct to the battery. The car is used when dry in the winter. 2to 3 times a month.

Battery has been tested and there is one cell damaged.

Sticking with another banner from Tanya for now to much variation in the lithium to make an informed choice .

Once again thanks for the comments.

You might want to take a look at this discussion

I  fitted a JWM Jack Webb lithium battery and you can read my comments on the above link.  I had to drill out the tray and fit a new tray.  The basic difference is that with the immobiliser drain, the Banner lasted 4 weeks before discharge whereas the JWM lithium lasts just 2 weeks, if that.  The JWM also has the added complication of a Low Voltage Protector (LVP), which activates when it senses low voltage and shuts the battery down to prevent complete discharge and permanent damage.  You need a special CTEK charger that will override that LVP and allow the battery to charge, a normal charger thinks the battery is completely dead and will not charge it.  On some occasions even the CTEK will not charge it unless I disconnect the battery terminals.

My former Banners lasted 4-5 years and in hindsight I would have stuck with Banner, I don't see any advantage of a lithium battery other than a definite advantage in weight reduction, the lithium is a featherweight compared to the Banner and definitely fulfils the Just Add Lightness ethic.  I would say you made the right decision to stick with Banner

8 hours ago, Bigape said:

Sticking with another banner from Tanya for now to much variation in the lithium to make an informed choice .

That's exactly my outlook on the Lithium battery scenario. I'm just a dry weather spring/summer road driver so I don't need a lithium, so while banner holds up I'll keep with it. 

Also the 3-4x price difference plus upgrading the charger/conditioner just isn't worth the 5kgs weight difference. I don't even notice the difference if I go out for a drive and have a meal out halfway through. I just drive 😄