Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Of Mice and Pressure Caps

Iamscotticus

Like mice, there are seemingly hundreds of different pressured expansion tanks available.

If I find one I like to use, that suits the 7 well, but the OEM pressure cap is rated a higher bar/psi than the system I have, how do I locate the (plastic) cap that will fit the reservoir? 

For example, if the expansion tank I want to use is equipped with a 1.4 (21psi) bar cap, but for use on a Kent crossflow engine car I want a 1.1 bar (psi),  Is there any thread and diameter system of standardization I can refer to to source the cap I want?

I am aware that the Landrover Freelander PCF000030 reservoir used by Caterham is a 1.1 bar and I could be done with that.  But I am looking more at a scuttle bulkhead mounted option, Dacia Duster 2171000QAA that comes with a higher rated pressure cap, as far as I can tell.  I would want to find a lower pressure cap to fit.

There are other options from Fiat and Citroën I like but the same cap pressure issue.

This puzzle is more easily solved with bayonet style metal pressure caps as the three or four standardized neck sizes are well known.

Thanks