Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First Track Day

Tony G

Well we completed our first track day - it was at Blyton Park last weekend and probably the last chance before the weather really turns.  It left us hooked, even though our 120 Roadsport will never be the fastest car there and often the slowest.  Certainly hope to get on some track days next year and will be more organised but as we have to drive there in the Caterham we will be travelling light and no tyre changes or other luxuries for us.  Anyway, we thought we'd a couple of our oh so slow and very much novice laps ... bring on next year!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tony G said:

Well we completed our first track day - it was at Blyton Park last weekend and probably the last chance before the weather really turns.  It left us hooked, even though our 120 Roadsport will never be the fastest car there and often the slowest.  Certainly hope to get on some track days next year and will be more organised but as we have to drive there in the Caterham we will be travelling light and no tyre changes or other luxuries for us.  Anyway, we thought we'd a couple of our oh so slow and very much novice laps ... bring on next year!

Glad you enjoyed yourselves, beware it becomes very addictive! Pretty tidy lines as well. A bit of advice (I hope you don't mind) but the position of your passenger's harness buckle is far too high. This generally happens when the laps belt aren't done up tight enough over the pelvis area so that when the shoulder straps are pulled tight the buckle rises and in the worst case scenario the passenger 'submarines' under the belt.

Looks like a great first track day 👍

In addition to what Drumster recommended about the harness, I'd also recommend having your visor down. Leave a small gap at the bottom for ventilation, but you really don't want anything off the car in front coming over the windscreen and hitting you in the face. Often the marshals will insist on that before they let you out on track.

I've never driven Blyton Park, but can recommend Donnington, Brands Hatch and Goodwood. My local circuit is Castle Combe - not as iconic as those, but also very good in a Seven. Enjoy!

Edited by GulfSeven

I have owned my 120 Roadsport SV for 20 years now and it still has the standard engine. Track days in a slower car are great, as long as you keep checking your mirrors so you are not surprised by faster cars you can get lap after lap at full speed without catching up too many other cars 😀