Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery and location options

Gridgway

My 80's BDR has a battery tray on the scuttle where the heater might otherwise be fitted.  There was no battery there when I bought the car.  There are very few options for a battery to fit the specific tray.  In fact while I can find a battery of the right width and length, the top is very close to the bonnet above and it doesn't have the lugs moulded in to locate into the battery tray (which has a clamp at the bottom rather than a strap over the battery.

A standard Banner battery would work if I could find a battery tray for it (Caterham out of stock) or get one made as the battery is only 165mm tall.  Or I could go gel and lie it on its side with a bespoke battery tray.

I don't want to locate the battery under the carbs and the space in front of the passenger footwell has the DS tank there.

So could anyone who has a battery on the scuttle (well the flat bit in front of the scuttle) say what battery and battery tray they have got please?

IMG20231119150514.jpg

• Support Team

I have a Varley Red Top 15 with the Varley mounting bracket mounted vertically on the scuttle up against the bulkhead. You could easily fit any typical AGM battery - Odyssey PC680 used to be really popular and is a bit cheaper than the Red Top. Lithium could be the way to go now though.

https://varleyredtop.com/project/varley-red-top-15/

https://varleyredtop.com/project/battery-mounting-bracket-varley-red-top-15/

Both available from Demon Tweeks

Edited by Shaun_E

• Support Team
1 hour ago, Gridgway said:

Thanks Shaun.  Did you decide you needed the extra plate behind and underneath the battery for strength?

No, I used to have a heater and the plate is just blanking the hole🙂.  The battery weighs half what a Banner does. 

Li on batteries around 1.1kg....

I mount mine on its side on the flat horizontal surface in front of the passenger... to the left of where your heater is.

Secured with two full straps of 3M dual lock tape.

If you have a short co driver you could always mount inside at the end of the passenger footwear underneath a quick release rally style footrest.

On 21/11/2023 at 16:38, Golf Juliet Tango said:

Anthony, is your battery a gel type? 

no just a Banner - edit and a DS Tank and a heater. Locating things like the coil can make it practical or not - it is replaced from underneath, sliding backwardsoff its tray. Maybe we should share access videos.. though of course the objection might be physical pain or some such as regards this location. From what direction do you access and/or replace your gel battery? edit2 and dare I mention when on tour I carry a spare battery! Not sure if it's gel, but half the size of a banner so cable ties, duck tape and a spare battery are my core bits. One of my reasons for fitting LED lights all round is to reduce the battery drain rate when the alternator fails - so if touring is not in play then any old small battery will do nicely. 

Heads up: Banner 53034 and 53030 Switch round the plus/minus terminals and pictures never seem to show which is which.

Edited by anthonym