Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strong fuel smell in boot

Videocameraman

I’ve had one of those rubber (or whatever it is) gaskets disintegrate completely (does it melt in the fumes, I wonder?) and leave sticky black blobs in the tank, which are a pain to remove. Won’t be using one of those again.

I prefer a cork/nitrile composite one, or just one made from that hard pinkish compressed paper stuff used for pump gaskets and the like (it’s good enough for the sealing washers on carburettor banjos, so it should be plenty good enough for the sender).

Fuel vapour can eventually permeate most hoses. Even the fancy Goodridge braided - and presumably other 'aeroquip' style stuff - is not approved by the maker for passing through the cabin of a closed car (they have a special, even-more-expensive line for that!).
I've no idea if the advent of E10 makes this more, or less, of a problem; but given other warnings I'm guessing the former is possible.

Compatibility with E10 fuel has been in the ASTM specs for several decades. (It's in the archives somewhere.)

IMHO the problems are with rubbery bits that sneak into Sevens through unorthodox routes, and with the cars lasting so long. 

We should treat all of those bits as having a finite life.

Jonathan

I'm just about to replace fuel hoses on a k-series.  Are you sure that R14 is right?  My reading of matters suggests that R14 is not for injection engines, but R9 is?

Here's a link to the SAE reference: http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/SAEJ30.pdf

But just to confuse matters Gates have R14 hose that is NOT for fuel injected, but other R14 hose that is? here

Is it just the permeability that is the difference with R14 over R9, but that Gates happen to produce an R14 that also meets the standards for injection, but other manufacturers may not?