Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec critical spares

Rich Goddard

I'm interested to know what critical spares others carry to trackdays (or touring) - particularly Duratec powered cars?

I'm quite new to Duratec ownership (having switched from K series) and have a few trackdays planned this year.

Thanks, Rich

2015 Supersport R 210bhp  

When I tour France, I'm always solo.  I also stick to minor D-roads whenever possible, so I like to be able to fix problems en route if at all possible.  That requires a comprehensive toolkit, plus basic spares including:

Fluids (oil, coolant)
Jack
5L petrol can
Throttle cable
Assortment of Jubilee clips
Assortment of Econoseal connectors
Assortment of wire
Cable ties
Exhaust bobbin
Coil-on-plug
Spark plugs
Assortment of nuts, bolts, washers
Puncture repair kit (Sealey)
Tyre inflator (Ring)
Half hood
SBFS long shower cap
Tow rope
Ratchet straps
Lambda sensor

[ETA]  Selection of fuses
[ETA]  Serpentine belt (Gates 6PK 1320)

Of course, all this adds weight, but the combination of 220 horses and no passenger easily makes up for that!

JV

I always used to tour with throttle cable plus a coil and an alternator, both of which i needed. Changing the alternator required bribing a local garagiste with a bottle of red to use his ramp. Luckily I speak french so the requirement was clear. The alternators on Duratecs seem prone to failure in my personal experience and I have always thought it was down to positioning and it's susceptability to water ingress during heavy weather. This is pure conjecture on my part. I've had 2 alternator failures both after travelling in heavy rain. anyway Waadoo i know