Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Blat route suggestions based in Argyll, Scotland

Paul D

In a couple of weeks the planets look like they might align and I may be able to take the C7 up to Argyll, Scotland whilst working up there for a couple of weeks.

I used to live in Glasgow so I know many of the roads in the area but I am looking for suggestions for up to 200 ish mile routes for the few days off I might get whilst I'm up there. I'm looking for driving experiences not slow roads to good views.

So far I have two in mind:

Arrochar - Crianlarich (love this road if you get a clear run) - Fort William - Spean Bridge - Laggan - Pitlochry (anything better than the boring A9 for this bit?) - Killin - Aberfoyle - Faslane - Arrochar (also love this road along Loch Long, proper rally special stage).

Inverary - Dalmally - Oban - Lochgilphead (another favorite road) - Inverary (used to do this loop in my old hot hatch when I was younger)

Questions:

I've never been south of Lochgilphead; do the roads go to singletrack? Worth a drive to Cambeltown?

Anything worth driving south of Greenock if I get the ferry across from Dunoon?

I don't know the area to the east of a Glasgow-Callander north-south line; any bucket list roads around  there without going all the way across to Perth etc?

• 2 months later...

My usual loop (100 or so miles) You can obviously join / leave at any point. 

A826 from Aberfeldy (amazing old military road)

right at A822 to Gilmerton (amazing old military road)

right on A85 through Crief / Comrie  / St Filans / Lochearnhead

right A85 to LIX Toll

right A827 through Killin / Kenmore (quite bumpy alongside Loch Tay)

you're back to Aberfeldy 

A shorter, more twisty, but beautiful route too (20 miles or so)

Aberfoyle North on A821 (Duke's Pass) (I often do this back and forth a couple of times on this run) - Loch Katrine a great stop on the other side of the pass.

Right A84 to Callander

Right A81 to Lake of Menteith

Right A81 at Rob Roy Hotel 

Back in Aberfoyle 

#4/#6 Aberfoyle, Duke's Pass, Lochearnhead, Killin, Kenmore, Aberfeldy, Sma' Glen, Crieff. Did this on Thursday, if you only do one don't miss this. Loch Long route great if you get it empty but about only one passing place. If staying near Glasgow, take an evening run for Fish & Chips in Inveraray. Great road south of Lochgilphead, call in to Crinan, down to Campbeltown back up to Tarbert take the ferry to Port Avadie then over to Hunter's Quay and ferry over to Gourock.