Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wrap Around Wing Protectors feedback

Temple Cloud

At the moment I have the polished steel protectors on my rear wings and have recently replaced them as the previous pair were quite pitted. However, I'm getting a little teed off having to touch up the paint not covered by the protectors. God knows who designed the ones I inherited when I bought the car or the ones I replaced them with as  they leave about 2" of wing unprotected at the edge and at the bottom which seems bonkers to me.

So I'm looking for an alternative solution and came across some Carbon wrap around protectors from Seven & Classics which seem, in theory, to be a much better solution. I'm wondering if anyone has fitted these and what their feedback might be. Thanks for any feedback you may be able to offer, together with any other suggestions other than adding any flappy rubber bits to my front wings which I won't entertain as they all totally spoil the car's overall design.

I have them. They work brilliantly. My car came with them and the carbon seems unmarked by stones over  the 13 years they have been on the car. They have gone a little milky on one side but nothing major. The main thing has been no touch ups needed on the rear wings and no mud flaps required. I don't know why they aren't standard fit. 

IMG_0551_1.thumb.jpeg.8c2b8a067bcc1d492ab6d20f4dd3ae87.jpeg IMG_0547.thumb.jpeg.0cbc4c6409a89772b4d979e009ba8695.jpeg These are the Millwood ones. Now 10 years old. The offside ( not protected by the exhaust ) has lost some of its surface to stone damage, but is still doing the job. 
The gel coat on the outer edges of the wings themselves was quite damaged by stone chips when using the CC ones.

• Leadership Team

Personal view but I think that the wrap-around protectors fundamentally affect the graphics of the car, breaking the visual flow and continuation of colour up and around the rear wheel arches.

An alternative (and, to my eyes, better) solution is to cover the exposed outboard areas of the painted arch in transparent ppf.  Easy to replace if it ever gets to the point where that would be desirable and the original graphic and visual-flow of the car is maintained.

James

Really grateful for the comments. I'm glad to hear the protectors seem to work well but I can see where #Shortshift is coming from, particularly as my car is a Crossflow with lots of exposed aluminium and the upside of the steel protectors is that they do blend in with the overall look and feel of the car. And I'm not certain that putting carbon on the rear wings will allow the car to retain the authentic look. I've done a quick and dirty photoshop job and it doesn't actually look too bad but I'm still undecided and will probably have to sleep on it for a couple of days. Decisions, decisions...But at least I now know the carbon ones work well, so thanks again for the feedback....