Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Power Polishers

JP

I'm think of taking advantage of the Machine Mart VAT free deal on Clarke products to buy a Clarke polisher CP185.  Does anyone have any experience of this or have any alternative recommendations?  I remember seeing a post on here a while ago about polishing bare ally and there was a strong recommendation for a 2 head polisher - but I cannot now find the post.

Would be for my bare ally 7, but also a painted tin top.

Another DAS-6 owner used for paint not ally. Also use Menzerna polishing products which are graded for level of cut - higher the number finer the cut.

On paint, a Dual Action machine is better for the occasional polisher as less likely to cause damage than a rotary.

I've never used it on my painted seven only the tintops. Seven gets an occasional go over with Autoglym SRP which is a combined polish / wax.

There are a few forum members with highly polished ally sevens - hopefully they will be along shortly!

Ian

Polishing aluminium is an art, you need a combination of heat pressure and speed to be right for a good result.  Unfortunately I am still learning and have made mistakes including adding swirls where I have over done the speed.   The dual head polisher is called a cyclone, that may help your Google searches.  I prefer the rotary over the DA, it get the heat into the process which the DA can't.  If I was polishing paint it would be DA all the way. 

Thanks all.  I think I'll look at a DA for the painted tin top and a dual head for the 7.  I'm expecting a big polishing job.  As part of my refurb Arch have reskinned part of the car, but in an effort to save costs, I've kept the old bonnet.  Need to try to bring 20 year old ally up to the match the appearance of the new stuff...

I didn't think a bonnet was 'that' expensive from Arch - I'd say cheaper than a dual head polisher. Plus the old bonnet will be stretched / shaped to the old bodywork which may or may not be the same as the re-skinned chassis. I know of one example of bonnet fitting issues.

I have this Machine Mart Polisher. I bought it mainly to polish the exhaust system and it was fine for doing that. I have not used it on the paint, as it is not dual action. I like the fact that there is a speed potentiometer which you can set, so it won't go too fast and get too hot. I'm sure it is a cheap Chinese made unit, but it works for me.

Piers

Thanks guys for all the tips...There are lots of "not that expensive" things that I could buy in the rebuild process, but when added altogether it does get quite expensive!  I suspect a new bonnet may be on the cards anyway, but I need to prioritise bits that really do need replacing first.

I have recently polished my alloy.

Personally, I'd get a compact DA. 3" to 5" head or you will struggle for space. Most polishers are big heavy lumps to use on a 7. 

If you want a mirror finish you will need to sand it first unless the alloy is not brush finished but better to use lots of fine discs (soon clog). Anything rougher than 1000 will add scratches. I mainly I used 2000

Plenty of clean rags or thick kitchen rolls work well. Lots of black goo to remove as you go. 

You will end up hand polishing quite a bit around wishbones, vents etc but it works just as well.

To keep  the shine afterwards......

I polished a spare sheet of alloy and marked it into squares. Applied various different polishes including a ceramic to each square and left outside for a few weeks in the rain.

Meguiar's A2216EU Deep Crystal Step 3 Carnauba Liquid Car Wax  was the clear winner for me. No stains or dulling. Easily the best out of the various products I had.

JP,

You don't want a normal DA you need a 7" fixed spindle with both a flat velcro pad to enable you to initially ue Abralon pads with oil and then wool mop heads (1 for each grade) with Nuvite (2 grades) the blue dual head Cyclo copy that Frosts sell can then be used with the fine Nuvite grade wrapped in the polisihing cloths

Take a look at the links on the notes I sent you the Nuvite site had good proven info on there.

Frasers can supply all you need though the 9" and the copy dual head can be bought slightly cheaper on line

More than one way to skin a cat, I chose not to go full mirror as would show up ever bit of dirt. 

I went for a 'reflective' finish. 

Still feel a compact polisher is better for an assembled 7 but everyone has their own preference.

20230326_092141.thumb.jpg.04e2344caa58b24b17038e89f1525e0e.jpg

Thanks again all.  Clearly more research to do.  And I can't find a cheaper alternative to the Cyclo twin head...

The cheaper option seems to have disappeared from Frasers and I can't find an alternative elsewhere.  £400 is a bit steep for me I think.

Black Goo.   I use a clean rag dipped into a tub of dry corn starch to remove the black goo.  It soaks it right up and it comes right off.  I would guess that any dry powder, such as flour, would do the same.  

tom