Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Routing rear flexible brake pipes to calipers?

JP

I'm rebuilding the rear of my 1999 imperial chassis and I'm doing the brakes today.  I've got std calipers and I've decided to replace the rigid pipes with flexible ones.  However, I'm struggling to find a route for the flexible pipes to the caliper without the pipes rubbing against other moving components or putting in tight bends.  Could anyone give me some guidance or post a pic of their set up please?  Maybe I've fitted something incorrectly?  Here is what I have...

20230422_121030.thumb.jpg.1448c0ec21fdd3d22d4e3b8243b94f58.jpg

• Area Representative

Who supplied the hoses? It's normal to have banjo fittings on the end of the hose that connects to the caliper so you can attach to the 3 way connector and then connect to the caliper and position in the best orientation. 
EDITED to say that my car has banjo fittings as above but looking at the Caterham Parts website it seems they supply hoses with straight fittings. I assume they fit the fixed fittings to the 3 way and the fittings using the double male adaptors to be fitted on the caliper. It looks like you are trying to fit the straight fittings to the caliper and it appears to be much longer than those on Caterham site. Are fittings at the other end shorter?

Thanks #2 - I think I get what you're saying...

In my picture, the protective cap is still in the caliper.  The caliper end of the hose is not screwed in - I've just placed it there for the picture so once screwed in it would make the radius of the bend a little less severe. 

The hoses were supplied by Redline.  The screw fittings at each end rotate on the hose for ease of fitting.  I have standard rear calipers.  Are you suggesting that, at the caliper end, the hose should attach to the caliper with a banjo fitting so that the hose aligns perpendicular to the caliper, avoiding the sharp turn in front of the radius arm mount on the DD tube?

This is one side of the pipe replacement set on the parts website (This is the other).  I think they have made an error in describing which side is which - the shorter one is the RH hose.  Is this what you were referring to?  There does not seem to be a banjo fitting option.  (The fronts do have banjo fittings.)

• Area Representative

It's over 20 years since I fitted mine and thinking about it I probably made up the hoses myself using banjo fittings. If your hoses are as per the ones on Caterham site it looks like the hoses have a fixed male end and a female end. I would suggest that the male end goes into the 3 way and the flat end of the male/male adaptor goes into the caliper using the washer. The female end of the hose then attaches to that. Hopefully when things are fully screwed in there should be enough room. 

Thank you.  I don't think I have any choice about which ends fits where - the threads are different on the caliper end and the DD boss end so the hose can only be fitted one way round.  It may be that I have received hoses for uprated rear calipers whereas mine are std Sierra...

Thank you #8.  I'll have a go at that.  If the lengths don't seem quite right it may be that I have the 3-way boss offset the wrong way.  The picture in the assembly guide is too blurry to tell which way it is mounted and the text isn't particularly clear..

Thanks JV.  I have got the input pipe upwards, but I have the boss reversed offset to the outboard rather than the centre as you have - I've swap it around.

I think I'll route it over the radius arm and put some rubber hose around it for the same reason as you - the protect it and for witnessing.