Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper wishbone ball joint replacement

Limitless

Thanks but I've read on here that it's very easy to damage the dust cover when installing a new one, hence, I thought it would be better to replace the whole thing and just count the turns carefully when taking it off.

Also, there is a method ('SM25T' does it this way) where you use a nut and bolt to split it but can't picture that in my tiny brain! Does anyone have a picture of how it works?

Once the nut has been removed from the ball joint pin, put a nut on a bolt (that just fits vertically under the end of the ball joint taper pin). Unscrew the nut from the bolt to effectively make the assembly longer and thus drive the pin upwards until you break the grip of the taper.

If you are re-using the ball joint and employing SM25T's method (which works every time for me) I recommend fitting a non nyloc nut to the end of the threaded taper pin. This will prevent any damage to the thread on the end of the taper pin when force is applied to it (avoid using the original nyloc as it'll be tight on the thread and more aggro to then remove it!)

I had a total nightmare trying to replace the dust cover. In the end I made a tool on a lathe to press fit the new cover cover on but it was still ridiculously tight even after filing the rebate on the ball joint a bit. Even being careful I got the 3 replacement covers!!! No chance of doing it without removing the balljoint from the chassis so the tracking needs checking anyhow afterwards. I would definitely just get a new ball joint next time and save the hassle. Sorry to contradict some of the other excellent contributors here but that was my experience.