Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering column upper to lower joint (CSR)

BenF

Whilst on an early morning blat this morning, I had to do a three point turn and heard a clunk from the steering when on full lock.  I then found the steering wheel was off centre, although the car itself was behaving itself fine - inspection of all bolts relevant to the steering system showed the reference marks still lining up.

On inspection in the garage, I found the joint between upper and lower parts of the column was switching between two positions when a decent amount of torque is applied.  Disassembling the joint, I can feel witness marks in the flat on the lower column where the grub screw had engaged, but there is no obvious damage as such.  The clamping bolts were in their original position, at least based on the reference marks on the heads.  I assume that over time, there has just been a bit of plastic deformation and the grub screw just needs readjusting and tightening.

steering.thumb.jpg.28e353eedab349940653ce7c7c5f6bb5.jpg

My plan was just to adjust the grub screw to have more contact force on the flat and then reassemble everything with some loctite on the bolts.  I was a bit bemused to find such an agricultural connection between the parts of the column, but there you go.

Has anyone had this problem before?

So on this topic, it was not possible to loosen the grub screw (at least not without a vice and breaker bar, neither of which I have at home), so I had to make do with mating the grub screw on a fresh part of the flat on the lower column.

Does anyone know from the build manual what the tightening torque for the two bolts should be?

From the Assembly Guide:

"The two parts of the steering column are clamped together using the locking clamp, make sure the cut out faces the column, refer to Fig 29. Insert the grub screw loosely into the clamp. Secure the two halves of the clamp using two bolts , plain washers and spring washers. Torque to 14 Nm. Tighten the grub screw with an Allen key to eliminate any free play in the steering. Lock the grub screw into place using locknut."

Jonathan

Yes, there is a 17mm locknut on the grub screw. It's hidden in the photo above, it's on the other side of the clamp.  Try as I might, I can't get the grub screw to move.  I could try doing this in situ but it would mean putting lots of load into the column, which I don't want to do.

Later this next week I will try to get hold of someone with the right tools, to get it moving again and then reassemble it as per Stu's instructions in the other post.

Yes exactly, but when it's off the car, it's difficult to get enough of a grip on the part to loosen the 17mm nut.  I do need to get a proper workbench and a vice!

Obviously, the locknut will have to be tightened again when back on the car, but I can do that in a controlled way, whereas loosening it on the car by putting a lot of torque into it until it shifts, is something I would rather avoid, i.e. I don't want to be putting a lot of bending moment into the column unnecessarily when trying to undo it.

John, yes I have access to a workshop, not on this bank holiday weekend, but later this week.

However it's a wake up call for me to get a proper workbench and vice.  I've got loads of tools but the usual blocker for me when doing maintenance is whenever I have to loosen something which is tight or seized, it ends up being a right PITA.

• Leadership Team

Ben, maybe try reassembling the clamp around a suitably strong rod (long socket extension) to imitate the steering column then try again? The 17mm nut can be extremely tight even without Loctite due to being tightened to FT lbs through fear of it coming loose.

Stu.

Very good idea Stu.

I've left it as it is, as the car is being MoTd on Weds and I don't want to start fiddling around with it now.  Afterwards I'll disassemble and have another look.  Also ordered myself a workbench today as the next step in getting my garage better prepared for this kind of thing.

Thanks 21jigsaw

The plate looks good, I cannot imagine how it could be bent, it must be the uprated one.

So my friendly technician loosened off the lock nut, I bought new bolts from Trident Racing Supplies just for peace of mind and the assembly is back on the car and tightened up correctly.