Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare Wheel Issues

Keith Mac

Owing to the slightly larger profile of the ZZS tyre which makes up my spare, the standard fittings used to secure it to the rear of my 7 now no longer line up.

Has anybody else experienced this issue and come up with any innovative ideas to overcome the problem?. All I can think of is to use straps, which could detract from the overall image.    

• Area Representative

Because I have had various diameter wheels it has always been a problem to get the spare to sit correctly on the frame. Many seem to use pipe lagging on the frame to compensate but it's ugly. 
My solution was to make the mounting point for the bolt holding the wheel adjustable. I achieved this by taking a piece of flat bar about 4 or 5 inches long with a tapped hole on one end and a large slot in the remainder. The bracket is attached to the car using a bolt through the slot allowing the fixing point (tapped hole) to move up and down.

Not easy to describe but hope you can understand. I often thought that there is a market for such a thing.

• Area Representative

Managed to find a picture which I hope shows the bracket I made. Flat bar needs to be thick enough to tap a thread and I used some washers on the T bolt to make sure it didn't protrude through the bracket.

D1532307-03FE-4CEE-8726-EAEFD8A7DFA0.thumb.jpeg.2d9109fe44aeec4af645f9ffbe8b78c3.jpeg

• Leadership Team

I experienced a similar issue (prior to ditching the spare wheel) on my old car and one solution I came across was to have an additional tube welded onto the Y-piece, parallel to the existing tube. I don't have a photo of the solution but should be easy to imagine! This enables the Y-piece to be positioned higher or lower as required by around 1/2".

Stu.

My Cat was built for race spec therefore the frame spare bung is too low for 185/70 R13.  

My solution is to keep the spare original size and an extra block in the boot.  I will have all running wheels 185/70 and if a flat is a rear, rotate a front to back and put the spare up front.  The flat should compress low enough to fit in the carrier.

For the bounce , i loop rubber straps with S hooks through the spokes down to the carrier tube. They don't stand out enough to be an eyesore.

Another thing, the spare tyre removal from the Y bracket is a real pain.  Looking for other ideas that will also add security.  Perhaps a sign on the wheel  "This wheel will not fit on any cars here or any car you buy today". (Marina/Ital)

• Area Representative

For security a simple bike lock through the wheel and around the carrier or I've even seen someone use a plastic covered chain and pad lock around top of wheel and into boot secured to roll bar. 
In practice however ive not heard of any wheel theft