Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New dampers for my 1990 Caterham - De Dion with adjustable spring platforms, for road use.

tompollock

My Seven sits on its original Spax Gas shocks (adjustable spring platforms).  The piston rods are corroded and the car gets quite lively accelerating at speed on narrow bumpy tar. I chicken out at around 75 mph unless the road is quite wide!  I suspect the dampers aren't doing much.

Can members recommend the best bang for buck adjustable dampers. I would like to use the original springs to save costs. Replacement Spax are reasonable but are there better out there for not too much money?

I'm on Protech too, Kevin built mine for my Freestyle set up.

On a separate note, re your lively handling on un ironed B roads...., are you running ARB's boths ends if so what size / setting are they on ?, tyre pressures..?  and have you have the car set up ad bump steer checked and corrected, all these could be adding to your problems.

*wavey*

Another with Protech from Procomp who know a lot about building, setting up and racing 7 type cars. Weight, springs, use and preference vary a lot. For example, my stripped track focused car is around 560kg with driver and half a tank whereas a fully trimmed car on the road with 2 up may be 700+kg. 

I had to use Spax when I first got the car (mandated for the race series in the early 90's) and they weren't great. Caterham didn't supply matched pairs so ended up having to dyno them before fitting. The first De Dion's rear dampers were poorly matched and changed to the G978 (stem and loop) around 1991. 

Lots of happy Protech customers out there. And they do look very shiny!!!!!  I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they come up with. 

I've only had the car since October so I'm still getting to know the handling. I'm sure the shocks are the main cause of the bad manners on bumpy roads, after all they're 32 years and 20k miles old. I'll get the shocks sorted first then get the geometry sorted afterwards.  Looking forward to the warmer weather *driving*

#16 Not revalving as such - Procomp provide a bespoke build service for Protech dampers. When I bought mine Protech didn't offer a 'standard' damper to suit and referred me to Procomp.

~18 and hence the reason Procomp do what they do. They've prepped race Westfields since the 80's and are also the manufacturers of the LA Gold and Locost.