Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help with wiring part numbers please (1999 K-series supersport)

JP

With Caterham's approval I am trying to get a new loom made for my rebuild by the original loom manufacturers.  However, it seems that the loom manufacturers only made the chassis loom from scratch and that the engine bay loom (wiring to ECU etc) was made by modifying a loom that was provided to them by Caterham.  I need to identify this loom.  Would anyone one know part numbers for the engine bay looms that were used at this time?

EU2 or EU3?

Do you have all of the wiring diagrams that you need?

And do you have Andrew Revill's corrections to the loom diagrams?

EU2 engine loom:
https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/guides/technical-guides/detailed-information-k-series-eu2-engine-loom

EU3: engine loom:
https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/guides/technical-information/detailed-information-k-series-eu3-engine-loom

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

It's EU2 and yes, you have previously sent me the wiring diagrams and I also have the diagram from the manufacturer too!  I've seen Andrew's drawings too, but I'll check them and his site again for the info - thanks.

Having looked again at Andrew's drawings, that might be enough...cheers...

• Leadership Team

As far as I'm aware the original engine loom will be as supplied by Rover with the engine. Do you have your old loom as a basis to create the new one?  In comparison to the car loom the engine loom is fairly basic and is easily replicated, I rebuilt the engine loom myself for my 1999 K-Series.

Stu.

• Leadership Team

6569DFBB-62B7-42DB-82EB-ECC06A35FDF2.jpeg.836184f97aeec1c62ed1abbb67eaf9fd.jpeg

This is all engine loom including the connections to the ecu and mfru. There should be a multi-pin (12?) cylindrical grey plug that is the main connector to the car loom, plus a 6mm spade connector which from memory will be brown on the engine loom side, purple on the car loom side.  With these two disconnected it should separate into the two looms.

Stu.

Does this help?  I think I can see the thin wire to which you refer, but it is not obvious to me where the larger plug would be.  I initially thought under the corrugated insulating cover next to the thin wire, but I'm not so sure when you see where the ECU plug wiring emerges...?  (By the way, as aftermarket modifications, I had a cut off switch and big red starter button fitted.)

Loom2.thumb.jpg.f98becd12d2c35f96ea1c867dd516bd7.jpg

• Leadership Team

This is one half of the grey multi pin plug, I suspect the car half.  If you start by gathering everything that is connected to the ECU and MFRU (1 and 2 in the photo) you should be able to follow all the wires to sensor plugs or connectors. Any connectors are likely to be connections to the car loom.

FD086DDC-473F-4F9C-A49D-C3EBC308DF63.jpeg.b2201d8f7cc0946d94a86f7fd27aab3c.jpeg

So the other side of the grey plug, other engine related plugs and wires are still attached to the engine.  What I want to renew is the engine bay wiring in the picture, so wiring and plugs to ECU, MRU, BGP (big grey plug!), lamba sensor etc etc.  The chassis loom that the manufacturers offer is essentially wiring to lights, switches and gauges only.  Somewhere, that chassis loom plugs into the engine bay wiring in the picture.  They can make me that engine bay loom if they know what the starting point is because that is the bit that was apparently supplied by caterham for modification...

My concern is that I cannot see where there is a connector between the "chassis" wiring and the engine bay wiring in the picture.  It looks like one loom unless something is been buried under some insulation...

My loom works - it just seems sensible to replace it while the car is in pieces.  However, as it does work, I don't really want to start pulling it apart unless I know that I can replace it.  Are the plugs even available (ECU plug) any more?  I can always give up on the plan and just reinstall it when I rebuild if need be..

There is a plug usually tie wrapped to the drivers side engine diagonal, ecu and mfru plugs and thats pretty much it for the engine loom.

perhaps have a read of the engine install in the assembly guide - the chassis loom is already installed on a kit and the engine comes with its loom attached so the engine install section details what plugs into where.

Cheers - I'll have a another look.  Looking again at Andrew Revill's drawing for the non VVC EU2 it also looks as if the only connection between engine and chassis is the single wire with the 6.3mm spade connector...

• Leadership Team

"So the other side of the grey plug, other engine related plugs and wires are still attached to the engine"

Are you saying you still have wiring connected the engine?

The engine loom is provided with the engine and is fundamentally a long assembly starting at the oil filter head, routed round the front of the engine and under the inlet manifold picking up the wiring from the various sensors as it heads towards the rear of the engine, TPS, crank sensor, air temp sendor, injectors etc.

At the rear of the engine there will be some excess length which splits into some connectors to enable it to be joined to the key components such as ECU, MFRU, and plugs to connect into the car loom, BGP, and the ECU power feed which on the K-Series is purple on the car side, brown on the engine side.  Importantly the ECU and MFRU do not connect to the car loom, they connect to the engine loom.

Stu.

• Area Representative

Looking again at Andrew Revill's drawing for the non VVC EU2 it also looks as if the only connection between engine and chassis is the single wire with the 6.3mm spade connector...

No. The spade connector provides power to the engine loom.

The engine loom includes the MFRU, which has the relay for the starter motor in it, so one core of the 14pin powers the starter relay from the car loom.

The oil pressure and coolant temperature sender wiring is included in the engine loom, and go to the car via the 14 pin connector, along with the tacho from the ECU.

The immobiliser is part of th car loom, and enables the ECU, again via the 14 pin connector.

The fuel pump relay is also included in the MFRU, which is fed back to the car via the 14 pin connector.

There is also the alternator light wiring that also passes through the 14 pin connector (without which, the alternator will not be excited, so won't charge!)

Thanks - I do have an AG that I bought from Caterham shortly after I bought the car in 2001.  Section 14 in my Guide is the section that deals with Competition and Trackday Options.  The engine installation is section 9 in mine.  Would you be kind enough to send me the PDF that you have so that I can compare please?

Looking at mine, I have left part of the engine loom attached to the engine and part attached to rest of the chassis loom.  My AG suggests that linking the engine to the chassis is simply done through the thin wire and the BGP.  But my loom does not look like that.  I wonder if the confusion has been introduced by the wiring for the cut-off and starter?  I'll lay the loom out again tonight and have another look...