Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing De Dion tube

JP

I'm thinking of renewing my De Dion as part of my rebuild, but I understand that the newer tubes may be slightly wider than mine. If so, does that present a problem for driveshaft lengths and would new shafts be needed as well?

If you're unsure of the condition of the tube you could always take it to Arch to get it sandblasted, checked over and re-powder coated. This is what I did at 59,000 miles. I only changed mine at 92,000 as it had completed many sprints (running over the kerbs) and felt it prudent to do so. The old tube still appears sounds although it has bowed by 1 or 2 degrees.

• Area Representative

'Not sure of the date dedion tubes changed, but i replaced a DD tube where the replacement was around 8mm wider than the original.

'pretty sure the driveshafts easily tolerate the extra width.

I’d be very surprised if Arch bother with blasting etc - they will just recommend a new one. I took my original one for inspection when I rebuilt the car, and they took it away and came back saying it was slightly bent, and recommended a new one. I don’t believe it was due to having all the tracking and alignment sorted. I think they play safe, and regard them as a part with a fatigue life - certainly race cars / teams treat DD tubes in this way. 

Materials have changed over the years (thicker gauge steel) and design has submitted changed over the years. I’d get a new one and that sort of age.