Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shift Lights

Bob and Carol

Instruction manual for the Racetronic G-Shift 20, includes:

Compatibility

The G-Shift unit is designed for use with any single or twin coil inductive type ignition system. This unit is not compatible with CDi or multiple spark ignition systems. This product will work accurately on 4-stroke engines with 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 cylinders and trigger from 1000 rpm to 20,000 rpm on all engine types.

Jonathan

Thanks for the info Jonathan.

I have emailed the Tacho manufacture, Racetronic and Caterham, nobody as replied as yet.

I have tried the three possible connections to the Tacho without success, without an oscilloscope I can’t read the type of signal going in.

Worst case is I put a sensor to read the crank shaft.

Just hoping someone has done this before.

Looks like it requires an inductive pulse from the coil, so tapping into the coil negative near one of the coils might work, but being a COP system with a common ground in the coil pack loom, may cause signal problems. It looks like the system is really designed for non-COP systems, so the induced back-EMF in the common coil ground may not be of the expected and detectable profile.

The ECU output signal the tachometer uses is the white/black wire that runs from pin 34 of the ECU (which is also used by the ACES shift light system), via the engine to chassis loom connector on the top centre pin to the tacho. If that signal is not of the right profile (MBE ECU tacho output is 12V square wave) or if your shift light input can't take a 12V square wave input of an impedance matched to the ECU, you may need a tacho driver like this: https://www.autometer.com/pub/media/manual/2650-561X.pdf

Just to feed back to those who helped and for others in the future who may wish to do a similar mod to their car.

As I could not find a signal that worked from behind the dash I ran a cable to one of the COP’s, coil side of the connector for the four COP on top of the engine as there was plenty of room there to make a soldered connection.

As a precaution and to try to keep the signal clean from interference from the other three COP’s, I used a screen cable and connected one end of the screen to ground.

A way of getting the four shift lights as high up as possible into my eye line, I mounted them onto of the dash and used a self-adhesive mirror under the aero screen to better display the lights into my line of sight.

The last picture includes Caterham's shift light limiter on. 

Thanks again to those who helped me.

medium_0.jpg.0a3390862651a3f68808dd0da5d02009.jpgmedium_1.jpg.07fe83ec675045fa1b91a631f88c4c40.jpgmedium_2.jpg.2838c4c8491e1c95454da95468767bb6.jpgmedium_3.jpg.b4664c23d67ed24e63472cc3c8c5750c.jpgmedium_4.jpg.5a461e1ead29176caaea85bb7b2a77de.jpgmedium_5.jpg.65f1cb60b92a77285ddb925e0d1e3d7a.jpg

From what I have found I think the Duratec rev limiter is set at 7600 so I set each of the lights 200 RPM steps down from this. Throttling an engine that is not on load was not that easy so I will what until Carol is driving so I can look at the rev counter and change the settings to suit. At least the last shift light came on before the Caterham’s light thinking that was a starting point.

Any suggestions on what the maximum revs should be or steps between lights, please post.

Hi Bob,

Max revs should be 7800RPM hard cut (fuel and ignition), 7600RPM soft cut (random cut to avoid upsetting car's balance). I have my last warning (flashing all LEDs on the ACEs system) set at 7500RPM as I want warning before the fuel gets cut at the rev limiter. My first amber LED comes on at 4000RPM and subsequent ones illuminate at about 600RPM intervals. I have my "Change Down" LED set to 2000RPM.

The step between LEDs will be a personal preference based on what you want to achieve. I like to know where the engine is after a gear change when driving aggressively and on track, so the engine is always somewhere in the amber or red range at full throttle, but if it is just to judge where the red line is, stacking closer together would be appropriate.

#24  Max revs should be 7800RPM hard cut (fuel and ignition), 7600RPM soft cut...

That's interesting.  Easimap shows my R400D (as delivered in 2008) to be a tad higher

Softandhardcuts_0.jpg.d96c89163d75d2f016ca1241984adbe2.jpg

Others on here have suggested that that's pushing things a bit for a standard crank and pistons.

JV