Click here if you are having website access problems ×

URGENT help needed - battery - now sorted

Terry Field

Unelievably, while checking the battery levels a steel bolt from the retaining strap dropped into the battery.

The cell is fizzing slightly and I have removed the battery into the open.

What is the best thing to do? I cant see the bolt so is it safe to poke around with a screwdriver?

Any other advice

Thanks

Took a chance and poked around and managed to retrieve it without any obvious damage apart from the bolt now looking a bit dull. Hopefully I haven't damaged the battery

• Area Representative

Plastic tweezers would be my choice. The acid will be eating the bolt and contaminating the cell.

It might not recover well or make no difference at all.

DerekH

Hi Jonathan

The topping up was minimal, hardly worth bothering about.

I am just about to lay it up for a couple of months, so will do all the battery checks as part of the revival!

Meanwhile I will read up on battery operation to try to understand the technicalities of dropping a steel bolt into it!

Many thanks.

#7:

Meanwhile I will read up on battery operation to try to understand the technicalities of dropping a steel bolt into it!

Well, the fizzing was the hydrogen produced by the redox reaction between the steel bolt and the sulphuric acid (electrolyte).  A small amount of iron(II) sulphate (note the old-fashioned spelling) would become dissolved in the electrolyte.  I'd suspect that the concentration of that sulphate would be very low (especially if you were quick to extract the bolt), and that it would have a marginal effect (if any) on battery performance.  But follow JK's advice re tracking performance.

JV