Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cross Flow - Starter Motor / Ignition -that's my bet?

7_Tea_7

Hello,

95 1600 x-flow,  had for 23yrs, no engine mods, not raced, had been off the road for a bit in the past.   Of cause there are going to be problems.

Not starting.

Battery, 12.6V, lights on, no problem.  Turn the ignition key, maybe a click, maybe nothing. Come on quite recent, although occasionally before there has been the horrible grating gear noise when trying to start.

Can jump start it off a handy charger pack. Probably not good for it.  Nor is the greasiness round the starter motor area.

So in my not very informed opinion its going to be a new starter motor assembly. For which there seems I have quite a choice on which to spend my money on again.  Any thoughts?

Is this a DIY job?

And while I am at it, should I ditch the points and go to electronic ignition?

Thanks as usual

JJ

"Can jump start it off a handy charger pack."

I recommend a bit more checking of the battery first.

Is it the sort where the fluids can be topped up?

What's the minimum voltage seen while trying to start?

Then I'd want to check all of the relevant cables and connections, including the engine earths. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean, reconnect.

Jonathan

PS: I also recommend measuring the battery voltage at 3,000 rpm when you next get it started. This will tell us about the charging circuit.

"So in my not very informed opinion its going to be a new starter motor assembly. For which there seems I have quite a choice on which to spend my money on again.  Any thoughts?

"Is this a DIY job?"

If it does come to this... yes. It's much easier if the mount and the terminal pattern are identical to the old one. And the old one might be repairable, which would ensure that they are. This can often be done locally.

Jonathan

PS: If you'd like an Assembly Guide and wiring diagram please send me a Private Message with your email address.

• Area Representative

JJ,

Mines a 97 Xflow 1600.

When my distributor packed up earlier this year I was recommended changing to a 123 Ignition unit (https://123ignition.com/ ) but on reflection decided to keep it original with a replacement Aldon unit with there Ignitor. The guy at Aldon is called Paul on 01384 572553 and was very helpful - they still make the correct unit for our cars (ref 103FXYS-I Non Vac). I had is set up on a rolling road and runs really nicely.

Jon

Hi J J, biff the points set up and go electronic, once set, and forget, no more messing with worn contact breakers.

Be aware not all starter motors are alike, do you have a "pre-engaged" or "inertia" type, you will need the same type if it is to be replaced, however your comment about starts ok with a jumper from a charger pack might be a clue, is the battery up to scratch?

Get a decent charger and give it the beans, some can carry out a recondition cycle on the battery, basically giving it a bit of a higher rate of charge to de-sulphate the plates, sounds more like a battery defect than starter motor, but also check the connections in the wiring, it is also important to be sure all the earth contacts are in good condition, all the battery volts are only as good as the return circuit.

I found this through Google, might be helpful.

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club › forum › correct-starter-motor-xflow

Nave fun.

Nigel.