Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thermostats. Yeah, I know. But why?

jbcollier

Crossflows in Lotus Seven S3s did not have thermostats fitted.  Supposedly if you fit a thermostat they will overheat.  I'm a retired, 35 year mechanic and I like thermostats.  They provide quicker warm up and better heat dispersion while doing so. Can anyone confirm this is actually true?  If so, any idea why?

I run without a 'stat but with a restrictor plate fitted (711 block). My original 1989 Caterham engine had an 82 deg 'stat but that was a poor engine and ultimately unreliable when pushed so I wouldn't put much faith in what they did or say in assembly guides. A well respected FF engine builder put a new engine together fo me, fitted a plate instead of a thermostat and upped the water pump speed and it's run like that for 25 years including a lot of race use initially. The FF engines a friend and I had from other builders were also supplied like this. 

Hopefully Roger King will be along and bring some clarity (I believe he suggests a 74 deg 'stat with engine running at 80 deg)

Early crossfow, pre-711, with the vestigual combustion chambers in the head.  Totally stock, Cortina GT tune.  Even still has the 32DFM carb.

I'm inclined to go with a 160F/71C stat but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something plum crazy.  Thanks for your thoughts so far.

I purchased a new 7 in 1983, 1600 cross flow, Sprint spec - twin webers. It was fitted with a thermostat. The biggest problem was the modified Hillman Avenger radiator (I think that is what it was) as the capacity/flow rate wasn't up to really hot running - as in, stopped in traffic with no airflow. A few times whilst touring in Switzerland I removed the thermostat - I always carried a spare Thermostat housing gasket. Mine was fitted with an electric fan & I fitted an override switch, so that I could pre-empt things and switch the fan on myself before the sensor (Otter Switch) kicked in. The car never boiled over on me, I just thought it was going to!! As a side note, my 7 was an only car for seven years so it was used all year. With a thermostat fitted it at least stopped the engine running too cold in the winter. From memory, the Thermostat housing, for the cross flow engine, accepts a fairly generic thermostat so you will have a range of thermostat temperature options to choose from. 82C should be a good compromise, but having a fan override switch should also be considered. Consider how you are going to use your car and hopefully that will help you decide what you need to do, if anything.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JB, I've run a S/sprint type spec x-flow for last 20 years or so - have had a 74 degree stat fitted throughout (which the Academy boys from whom I purchased the car also had fitted ) and all has been fine.

Engine is now 1700cc with quite a bit of porting, valve mods, roller rockers, injected, and still retains the 74degree stat., and no issues (apart from  the longevity (or not) of the Radtec Alu radiators)),

D

• 8 months later...