Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cabin fumes with half hood

Gareth H

• Area Representative

Never experienced intake of fumes with half hood on in any circumstances.  And that is over a period of ten years.

As suggested angle exhaust tail down slightly otherwise you have an under bonnet issue.

From the photo it does look to be at the wrong angle and is normally pointing slightly downwards, maybe in the 8 o-clock rather than 9 o-clock position looking from the front.  Here is a photo of the CSR 485 from CC site.  The problem is that the silencer bracket would have to be bent to change the angle, if you just twisted the silencer and refitted it, it might place too much strain on the bobbin.

CSR485.thumb.jpg.294d6dc8007635ae933497d4550799bb.jpg

Gareth, one final comment, I have had 3 CSR's and this latest 2015 one has had problems with exhaust emissions seeping into the cockpit and nothing at all to do with the half hood.  I can't understand it but it isn't always there so I live with it whenever it occurs.  Probably not the answer you were looking for other than it happens.

Not scientific but..... on the basis I always find "road crud" on the back of my seats even when not using a half hood to me it seems the only explanation is there must always be some degree of air flow coming back into the cabin from the rear of the car.   Also as others have mentioned you can get enough "wraparound" air flow in the cabin  to coat the inside of the windscreen and mirror with crud as well.

The only time I've noticed exhaust fumes was when the lambda sensor went bad and you could detect the "rich" smell, and that was with a rear exit exhaust. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some level of exhaust emissions always spilling back into the cabin given the Caterham "aerodynamics",  it's just one doesn't notice/detect it

#13  You definitely need earplugs/ear defenders with the half/full hood up as they accentuate the typical Caterham mechanical noises (though personally I use ear protection all the time)