Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma warning

Tom_Arundel

My 2010 sigma steamed to a halt at Aldi`s yesterday, where I bought some water to fill it up. I thought it was the head bleed hose joint but today I found it was the head core plugs had corroded through. The spark plug gallery was entirely full of water which found its way up through the cam cover and exited at the back of the head adjacent to the bleed hose. It never misfired which was amazing! I removed the cam cover and pressurised the water system and a jet about 2ft high came from the rear core plug ( between the spark plugs). Core plugs came out ok, they were so thin that I just pushed a screwdriver straight through them. So tomorrow I hope a visit to Ford will find some new ones and I`ll be back on the road!.

I get the impression that the core plugs are above the coolant level in the head and suffer corrosion because of that......So, any coolant stains at the back of the head near the ign. coils may well be core plug problems. 

I suggest that anyone with an older sigma gets the core plugs replaced......it`s not a big job but a failure could be!

P.S. Drove a GT 40 today.....Terrible*yikes*

If the core plugs are in the coolant jacket they should always be submerged. The coolant jacket should have no air in it. Has trapped air accelerated your problem or is it just poor quality parts?

Ford say it`s a common problem. I think that the core plugs are above the vent level and air/vapour gets trapped below them hence the corrosion. I shall replace them with home made aluminium bungs.

Coolant - Ford red stuff.

Ford part F1455107           012242 plug                (price suggests they are made of gold!)

It was quite funny dis-assembling the Caterham in Aldi`s carpark with customers making comments!

GT40 was Virgins (ancient Superperformance) `experience day` car and the worst maintained vehicle I have driven...awful in the wrong sense!   `Instructor` and organisation weren`t much better!

The conversation with Ford suggested that later/other models do have threaded plugs and that the steel ones are a reliability issue.

They are 25mm dia. but I will press in a bung with an extractor thread in it and then punch a couple of dings in the rim.

`Mechanical fuse`...Well they did that!!     Core plugs fill the holes left by the CORE PRINTS during the casting process. Core prints are the support system of the sand core that forms the inside of the casting /water jacket, they extend into and are supported by the outer mould.....Just saying *bandit* 

It is back on the road now, took about 4hrs            3 litres of Ford antifreeze £36 !!!!!         4 core plugs   £9-60 !!!!!

These are in the head though and many of these are circa 20mm ish so well within range, many engines already have these tapped and plugged - thinking Alfa's etc.

Duratec's are plugged on both head and block too at circa 30mm 1 under No4 exhaust and 1 on the black of the head

Whilst they can act as a fuse, though they are there for the casting process, there are many weaker components likely to fail should freezing occur, most wintered engines I've seen have had hoses or housings fail, though seen a couple of cracked blocks but the core plugs were intact, would be interesting to look at the location based on Tom's thoughts to see if cavitation was a possible cause.