Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bolt on silencer?

John Pattison

I've got an SV Sigma, that produces about 94 dB at 4,500 in track tests.

I'd like to have a go around Thruxton, which has a 90 dB max.  Has anyone come across a "bolt on" addition to the side exhaust to knock a few dBs off?

Merlin appear to advertise something of this ilk, but never seen one and no idea if it would fit or work.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Hi John

I have used the Demon Tweeks decibel slayer and it takes the edge off but you are looking at a few dB rather than anything more substantial. It's enough to get me through noise checks which is what matters though and easy to fit and not obtrusive.

I have ended up with 2 so if you are interested, I can sell you an unused one at a bit of a discount to the Demon Tweeks price.

• Area Representative

as per #6, a decent exhaust shop would be able to make one of those up.

those I've spoken to using a decibel slayer reported very mixed reports, but dropping 4db is quite a big chunk of noise to lose. 

ive had a twin side mounted silencer setup for many years. i wanted something that was easy to fit at the circuit if i had problems with noise (260hp VX 16valve on throttle bodies). i have two raceco silencers mounted one on top of the other with the final exit disappearing under the car (makes trackside measurement very difficult for marshals!). below are figures taken by the marshals at donington

Drive by after 4 laps with 1 Raceco side exit (not yet up to full speed and commitment)

99.6 db

99.5 db

Drive by with twin Raceco silencers in the final 15 minutes (well up to full speed and commitment)

96 db lap after lap

Drive by with twin Raceco silencers Donington 21.10.19 

98 db quiet day and no problems

dd3.thumb.JPG.1d09bf14148c2fcc3e934aa11046e78d.JPG

ive had a twin side mounted silencer setup for many years. i wanted something that was easy to fit at the circuit if i had problems with noise (260hp VX 16valve on throttle bodies). i have two raceco silencers mounted one on top of the other with the final exit disappearing under the car (makes trackside measurement very difficult for marshals!). below are figures taken by the marshals at donington

Drive by after 4 laps with 1 Raceco side exit (not yet up to full speed and commitment)

99.6 db

99.5 db

Drive by with twin Raceco silencers in the final 15 minutes (well up to full speed and commitment)

96 db lap after lap

Drive by with twin Raceco silencers Donington 21.10.19 

98 db quiet day and no problems

dd3.thumb.JPG.fbab54c37917893d87a6833f8f0bd209.JPG