Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle pedal modification needed for RBTBs?

Rich_tea

The throttle pedal arm on my 2.0 Duratec with RBTBs has been extended by a couple of inches or so to increase the cable travel but I'm not sure why.  I'm wondering if the RBTBs need more cable travel?

The car has a tendency to kangaroo at light throttle in low gears and I'm thinking the increased pedal ratio/sensitivity could be the cause or at least a contributory factor.

IMG_20220509_170610192.thumb.jpg.167087a382e9bc11328a0e98c9a063bf.jpg

It looks like it has been extended to either reduce the slack in the (wrong?) cable or perhaps as a part of a pedal positioning modification that has been 'reverted'. e.g.  Someone has put a bracket on the throttle mount point to move the attach point lower, causing the cable to foul on it's path down.  

My 420R has RBTBs & the pedal isn't modified in that way. I haven't experienced any low speed kangarooing on a light throttle, in fact, if anything, the car is better in that respect than it was with the original plenum intake.

You could potentially shorten the cable using a 'solderless nipple' & cut the pedal arm back to it's original length. 

However I can't help but feel this must have been someone's solution to a problem they were experiencing. Perhaps returning the pedal to it's original length would simply result in the return of the original issue? 

I think a bit of trial & error might be required!

That looks like a fudge of the first order, and as has been pointed out an imminent cable failure.

This will be some persons work around a problem, but it is not a satisfactory long term set up.

Shorten the pedal to original length and shorten the cable to match, is it the correct cable? I don't suppose Caterham have any stock, seems a usual grind on these pages, but can be fixed better than seen here, as discussed above.

Have fun.

Nigel.