Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ECU remap upgrade etc question sorry for the ramble

wild bill

My car is 1997 k series now upped since 2009 to 2.3 duratec with Jenvey TB's. I kept the original ECU and Dave at emerald did the remap. The car is now not operating at it's peak and i have alot of pops and bangs on a trailing throttle. Car doesn't initially want to idle when starting from hot but after 5 mins or so it's back to OK. Rev counter is showing half actual (this might be the counter but i'll test this first) My thoughts are

1) Go to Dave at emerald and remap. It might be Lambda sensor related but as Dave cross threaded this in the primary originally and it hasn't been touched since  he'll sort it i assume. However it's bloomin miles, and not convenient to get to at all.

2) Buy a new ECU (OMEX or as per reccommend) with someone nearer to Bath who can remap as necessary. Are there any other benefits? 

I'm no tech so i really have no knowledge in this area. Thoughts?

Can you plug in a laptop and see if anything has obvious failed? eg if the temperature sender is not sending a signal to the ECU it will show as XXXX in the software display.  Does the throttle position need recallibrating?  Thats an easy one to do on the software.  

Personally i don't have anything these days in terms of laptop that'll plug in. Also the ECU terminals are from before the ark. In addition when i have plugged in in the past i just don't get it it's like looking at chinese writing to me. I'm just not wired that way.

Depending on your budget I would have thought the best way forward is to contact Northampton Motor Sport. (Not as far for you to travel). They can supply ecu's and of course map them correctly on their rolling road. I believe they can also deal with Emeralds if necessary.

Kind regards PGM