Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec Engine Oil

theslowman

Hi,

I am about to order oil for my 420r first oil change.

The oil supplied by Caterham for the build was a Motul 5W50 fully synthetic.

Opie Oils have 5L of this exact fully synthetic oil for £56.95 they also have Comma 5W50 fully synthetic oil for £37.50.

There is a 15% Easter discount at present that would be applied to the prices above so I want to order enough for a few oil changes.

I seem to remember reading that Caterham have supplied Comma oils in the past.

Do we know any good technical reason why they changed from Comma to Motul - or was it merely a commercial swap based on price?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

P

Jonathan,

Thanks for that, I have had a rummage though the archives and have concluded that the original grade of 5W50 is the way to go for me - when I finally get on track I can't imagine that I am going to generate real heat ( I have chosen my username for a reason....*rofl*)

The question revolves around the quality of the oil rather than the grade. I assume that they are similar and I am hoping that one of our more learned members can either confirm or deny that.

I am always keen on a bargain but I really don't want to spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar.

Ta

P

Just for balance, I always aim to put the very best quality oil available in regardless of cost, assuming correct grade.

My logic being if you work out the cost difference over the life of your ownership relative to what you've paid for your 420R it's still a small difference.  Given the oil is protecting the engine, the heart of the car, why potentially put a lesser oil in. You're only saving ~30 per change

I appreciate there is no exact science behind this and you could argue the protection is the same between the different quality oils.  Given the lack of real scientific data, I'll go with marketing spin and assume there's something in more costly oil.  At worst case its the same as the cheaper oil.

"I appreciate there is no exact science behind this and you could argue the protection is the same between the different quality oils."

As long as they meet the correct ACEA, API etc specification what you say is quite likely. There is no doubt some of the very expensive oils about are as much about marketing hype as quality, there have been quite a few practical wear and abrasion tests carried out over the years that appear to support that too. 

I think we all have our favourite brands but I doubt there's any true correlation between price and quality. I think Ford now 'exclusively' recommend Castrol products, but I also think I'm correct in saying they used to 'exclusively' recommend Comma in the UK. 

I'm with Scott on this.

The primary factor for an oil working well in a particular application is its grade and if you pick the right one, the difference in engine wear should be minimal over the course of its life.  Modern engines are expected to do well in excess of 100k miles in their lifetime and most 7s will get nowhere near that mileage, so it is not clear if long-term wear is anyway an issue for 7s.

Having read all the comments ( thanks to those that replied) I have concluded that the oil changes during the warranty period will be using Caterham approved suppliers, this means paying over the odds for Motul Oil, and actual Caterham Branded Filters.

In the unlikely event that I have an issue with the Engine then Caterham will have no wiggle room as I will have followed their recommendations to the letter.

Thanks again

P